A Chic with a Power Tool

Discussion in 'Classroom Photos' started by Jem, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

I went in for a few productive hours, and walked away with the following done (man, I love my electric drill....)

I hung this wire rack that I've been tripping over in the garage for far too long. I added books about writing to it-this is our publishing center.
    [​IMG]

This is the other side of the publishing area-I hung this GIANT frame up. No 'guts' yet, but it will have something to do with the six traits. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it or have the kids make it. We might add traits to it as we learn them.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I hung all these hooks and frame. For homework this year, the kids will get to pick from canvas bags with high-interest topics (Egyptian Mummies, the Civil War, Rocks and Minerals, Magic, etc.). Each bag will have books, hands-on kits and a folder with projects to complete. The following Monday, they will have to present what they learned and choose a new topic. They can suggest topics as the year progresses, so by the end of the year we'll have tons of bags to choose from. I'm sewing the starter bags this weekend. Anyhow, they will hang there, and the frame will hold a poster explaining the process. I'm making a Homeworkopoly board to put on the door next to the wall.
    [​IMG]

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2010

That is really, really, really awesome on a superior level. I love these pictures quite a bit.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

I am really crazy about the high interest bags! I'll bet I could put something together like that...eventually. Maybe I'll start off slow, with two or three bags. I can see some of my students being interested in that. Perhaps boxes instead of bags? (I'm a sort of neat freak--OCD about not having things that aren't square or rectangle. :) )

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

Thanks, guys!

Shouldbe-I'll post what I put in each bag when I start filling them. I'm sewing the bags out of oatmeal-colored denim with different black handles. I'll be painting different pictures on the front to represent the 'guts' of the bag. I'm worried about that-I want them to look really nice, but I also don't want to spend the money on transfer paper and I don't have much luck with it anyhow. The bags will be really simple and hopefully classy.

6. Mom-Ed.S.

Mom-Ed.S. Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

I love the pictures, as well! :) Maybe think about stenciling for the front of the bags? or - you could glue on one of those clear pocket protectors (thick plastic, about 3 X 4) and slip in a picture. Just thoughts -

7. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 14, 2010

Oh! I bet the clear pocket protector on the front would be great - then you could change out the theme of the bag as needed. That way you could use the bag for a different high interest theme, without having to invest the time in making a new bag.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 14, 2010

super neat ideas, I especially love the publishing area, I wish I had that for my scrapbook stuff IN MY HOME.

9. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I love those racks.

10. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 15, 2010

Very nice Jem! I love the homework bags idea.

11. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Your classroom pictures and explanations make me want to be in your class... Sounds exciting! I love the frame idea, also!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

Maybe instead of painting on the bags, you could attach a 'travel/luggage tag' with a graphic and text art representing what is in the bag- that way you have flexibility from season to season/year to year in changing up the contents/uses of the bags....

Are some of your publishing books a bit high for your kids to reach? I'm used to teaching second graders so height of resources has been a consideration for me when displaying resources kids will use frequently.

And while I'm sure you are VERY 'chic' while using your power tool, did you mean 'chick'? :lol::lol::lol:

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 16, 2010

Jem, I love your room! I especially love the racks! If you do not mind my asking, is your school based in a home, or other non traditional structure? The reason I ask is the window looks sort of like a bay window. The school where I teach is in a remodeled home that was previouly a lawyers' office. :0) Just curious. :D

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 16, 2010

Yep-our school is in an old Victorian mansion. It's beautiful, but it also presents a lot of unique challenges when setting up learning areas. We have really small rooms (the bedrooms) and then larger areas where walls have been knocked out. I'll post a video of the entire floor when it's all finished in about two weeks!

15. idahomom

idahomom Companion

Aug 20, 2010

This is awesome! Can't wait to see more.

If I ever get a job, I want to use something like this. :)

16. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 20, 2010

Jem,

I just wanted to mention that I have a sprout classrooms order on its way to me in Canada! I found out about it through your signature and have recommended to other teacher friends of mine.

Thanks so much!
    Frances

17. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Aug 30, 2010

How beautiful! Do you have more pictures? I would love to see your whole room.

18. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 1, 2010

Ours is in a two story home that was transformed into a law firm and is now our school. We also have small rooms, but have knocked walls out here and there to expand. I really am considering stealing a couple of your ideas for next quarter, when I change things up. Thanks for sharing!:D

19. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

I absolutely love your ideas! I especially love the book racks on the wall! It's attractive, and it's a great use of space. Actually, that whole area looks amazingly cozy. Nice work! Also, I am somewhat envious of your ability to successfully use a power tool. Kudos...

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

Thanks, guys!

I'll post pictures once my white board and bulletin board are installed and I have labels on my items. We're a billingual school, so I'm trying to get all the labels done with English and Spanish, and I'm still waiting on the translations...