A/C regulations... gripe!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpecialPreskoo, Aug 6, 2009.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

I know I should be happy to have A/C in my classroom but found out that the thermostat must be set at 75 and no lower. Well, 75 in my room is still stuffy and humid! I'm not THAT hot natured of a person, but gee! The thermostat doesn't work right. Maintenance says that there is nothing wrong with it... YES THERE IS!!! I have to move it to turn it on and move it to turn it off (winter time, too, with the heat). You are either freezing or burning up. It is hard to find that happy medium. Well, I was working in my room today and set it to 75. The emergency heat thermometer said it was 80, the A/C thermometer said 77-78ish and it was set on 75 and the A/C was NOT running.

I can handle freezing in the winter if they make us set the temp lower for the heat... just layer up. But in the hot summer, you can't strip down. Thank goodness I can wear capris, tees, and sandals! I would die if I had to be dressed up!

OK... thanks for letting me release some HOT AIR!! LOL

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

I'd buy a couple of therometers and tape them right beside your thermostat and then another one at the front of the room. Kids will be sleeping after lunch, I would be too.

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

Our district controls our a/c and heat from their offices which is about 15 miles away. Goes off at 4 and both are off on weekends. Mondays are usually cold, 65, during the winter.

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

At least you don't have to have it set at 68 degrees all year. I had that last year. I had the main computer and phone lines for the school in my room. Some days you just could not get warm enough even with layers inside and then you would go outside where it was 80+ degrees.
    It could be worse. I keep my own thermostat set at 76 at home.

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2009

That's horrible! I can stand being cold a LOT better than I can handle being hot!

Can you take a couple of fans into your classrroom? That is what I did last year, and I plan on adding one more this year :)

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2009

Everything is relative. When you get to be my age, 68 degrees is a blessing :haha:

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

I was also going to suggest thermometers. Maybe you can prove to maintenance that your temp. doesn't work. I had to do that once. We were freezing in the winter, the thermostat read 71. I SWORE it wasn't 71, and I got some cheap thermometers from the dollar store, taped them in various parts of the room....my room ranged from 58 to 64 in various parts. They then fixed it by replacing the thermostat. I've been warm and toasty ever since!
    Kim

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2009

I feel your heat!
    We have no a/c and they tell us to open windows that face a blacktoped parking lot :mad:

10. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

I would do the thermometer thing. I have had to do that especially in the winter time. They say my room is set to 66 degrees when it is really 55 degrees. I like it cool, but not that cool!

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

Our heat is also controlled at the district. The district joke for a few years was the reason we kept going from freezing to hot and back was due to the menopausal superintendants at the district!

12. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 6, 2009

All of the time I was in school, we had no air conditioners or fans in the classroom.

It sucked.

Especially when epopel were collapsing due to the heat.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

The thermostats are adjustable. I know that because I went through the same thing. The a/c said it was 70, while the thermometer said 80. Gather the data and call BOLI, or the union.

14. kickchick2000

kickchick2000 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

My room is the exact same way hot and horribly stuffy all the time. I've had the temp in my room reach between 84-87 on several occasions. I keep a thermostat in the front of the room and record the temp in a log 3 times a day just ot prove there is something wrong. I'd open my window to get fresh air except it's been broken for years and won't budge. I've complainted and requested maintinance dozens of time on on both things and nothing has EVER been done to actually fix the problems. I hope you have better luck.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 6, 2009

Not sure if this was already suggested (didn't read all the posts)... But I would recommend buying a dehumidifier for your room. I found that when I have my AC unit on at home and I turn on my dehumidifier (the AC has one built into it), it feels ALOT nicer. I can run my AC at 75 and it feels good. You can even ask some other teachers if they have one at home they're not using.

If that's not possible, I would suggest some fans. We have one AC unit for my 2 bedroom apartment and we just place fans in each room to get the cool air moving.

Save the receipts for tax purposes and to show that they are YOURS, not the school's.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2009

Our new school was supposed to have a thermostat in the room that we could change (within a short range). They put the device on the wall but they didn't hook it up. They decided they prefer to control it than let us control it. So now my P is fussing with them because we all looked forward to that and the box is just teasing us.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 6, 2009

I walked into my friend's class last year and all of her students were wearing their winter jacket and gloves. One of her student's moved to a new school and the teacher had a problem with him not wanting to take off his snowpants b/c he was used to his classroom getting colder as the day progressed:lol:.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2009

That's bad! :lol:

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

I love the ideas... yep, getting some therms to hang all over the room. I'll have to check out the dehumidifier. I like that idea, too. I need one here for home, too. We have to keep the AC on 70-72 or it gets smothering even with ceiling fans running in the house.

20. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 7, 2009

Okay, finally I have a chance to say something positive about my district (my recent posts have been a bit on the "downer" side.) We have our own heat and a/c controls in each classroom and they work. We can even switch from heat to fan to a/c and back as many times per day as we wish!!! Every so often one of the classroom systems will break and they'll come in and work on it up on the roof and fix it.

My kids tend to be cold. I warn them of that at the beginning of the year. I tell them to bring a sweater or a sweatshirt, because this is the way it is. I'm not really that much of a dictator -- but we are on the second floor, and right outside my window is the trash dumpster!!!!!!! If the a/c cuts off, we get a lovely garbage smell pervading the room!!! If I keep it running, the air movement keeps the smell away. I'd rather be a tad chilly than have a garbage smell fill the room.

They empty that dumpster every single day during class time. The big truck is noisy. Then it slams the entire dumpster down a couple of times to get the stuff stuck to the bottom to fall out. It is quite distracting. Eventually, they all get used to it, but needless to say, my room is not a "prime location" by any means!

21. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

the thermometer thing really works. a couple of teachers did it at my school last year and got some results.

22. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

Our principal wouldn't turn the boiler on until we had a certain number of days below X temperature. I am from the south and I free all winter. The first year I was here, I was wearing my winter coat in the classroom and the kids told me Mr.M wouldn't turn on the boiler until it was really cold. My fingers were freezing. He was in the office talking to the secretary and I put my frigid fingers on his neck and made him jump about 2 feet. "Now will you turn the heat on?!?" We had heat by the end of the day. He told it was because he didn't want his thin blooded southerner to freeze in the mild temperatures. I was a hero for a day or so.

23. teachermegs

teachermegs Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

:cool:Do they check what you set it at? They told us last year that we had to be at 75, but never came to check it so I kept mine a bit cooler.

24. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

We have controls in our classroom..weirdly, some are different than others and are adjustable. Mine is one that isn't. Last year in August/Sept. My room started to get warmer around 10am and progressed throughout the day, by the last class period at 200, it was almost sweltering. My door would be open and people walking in the hall would stop and comment on how they could feel the heat rolling out of my room.

After 2 days of it, and telling kids I couldn't control the a/c-which I couldn't. I told admin and they got a hold of the head main. person-nothing was done. So I grabbed a clock/thermometer gizmo from a fellow teacher. Her room was 70..We have 2 rooms between hers and mine..that walk made it up to 74. I sat it on my desk and it slowly climbed to 76/77..I shut the door and in less than 15 minutes it was up to 80 degrees. I promptly went to the principal and told him that we were taking the students to the gym, it was too hot to work. He agreed. I emailed the head main. guy and delivered the results. He found that my room wasn't 'reset' or something of that nature like all the other rooms did. It was fixed that day with a promise to email him whenever it does this and it will be fixed. It happened once later in the year, I did the thermometer thing, emailed him, within 2 hours we heard the air kick on. THERMOMETERS HELP!! :)

25. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 7, 2009

I don't know if they will come in and check on reg. basis or not. At one time they had those clear lock boxes over them but they were stupid and gave us the keys... LOL Those covers are long gone now. :) They are supposedly converting everyone to a system that is controlled at central office. Let's save money by setting the temp at 75, No wait, let's blow money on a system wide thermostat that probably won't work either... LOL

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

I remember when they started controlling our Temp at a central local. The K teacher (smart guy) took a lamp and placed it near
    his thermostat to make it think it was hot,.........his AC ran till he he was comfortable.

27. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

Our hvac is controlled by central office. They replaced the unit guts in our school this year (bless their hearts) b/c some rooms no a/c, others no heat, others nothing, yet others flooded the rooms if we were hit with a gully-washer! Supposedly our rooms will be kept at 78 during a/c season and 68 during cold season. However, I'm in an interior room w/ no windows. Kids come in from gym and temp soars. Projector etc. add to the heat. Love the thermometer idea:thumb: Gonna do that from day 1!

28. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

Hey Stephenpe you reminded me of what a veteran teacher did last year to keep herself cool. She put her computer next to the thermostat. All of the other teachers were asking why her room felt so good when the ac guy came by and he told them that the heat from her computer kept it running all the time.

29. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 8, 2009

The "light trick" really does work for the warm weather. You just need an old fashioned "neck" lamp (a metal one works really well). You aim it right at the sensor part of the thermometer. It will always read as "hot" and the a/c will flow.

In the winter, the "fan trick" works. Aim a small compact fan at the sensor. The cooler air will trick the sensor and the heat stays on. (It doesn't work as well as the light trick, but it does help.)

Where did I learn this? Years of working in public recreation facilities. They always put the thermostats in those little locked plastic boxes to "save money." (Now mind you, the people in charge had full control of the ones in their private offices.)

30. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

I envy you guys! I don't even really have A/C in my room. Actually, let me qualify that: I have a small window A/C which barely works, but I've talked to some of the maintenance staff, and if I complain about it, odds are it may disappear and not be replaced. If I want a fan, I have to supply it. My room is in the oldest part of the building, so while some of the newer wings have central air, mine doesn't. There were times last year when the sweat was rolling off my back. In the winter, the heat can be really poor. Sometimes it's great, but there were plenty of times I wanted to teach with my jacket on, and my fingers were frozen. Especially on Monday mornings, since the heat is off over the weekend to save money. I hear a rumor that NJ may pass a law stating how hot/cold it can be before kids need to be sent home; I hope that they do, because it's certainly not fair to us or to the kids.

31. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 10, 2009

The lamp on the thermostat trick... THAT is funny! LOL Gotta love it.

We had our main inservice day today. No one mentioned about the A/C regs there. I figure they left that up to the principals. I did look at the thermostat in the girls bathroom. It was set about 72.