A/C out & over 100°

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Irishdave, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2007

Wouldn't you know the kids get back from the summer in Ohio and the A/C goes out this is the one time in the year you MUST have A/C!
    The Wife works for a Hotel chain so we have a suite till Friday when a repairman can come and work on it. With Day time temps at or above 108° A/C is a must. Heck right now at 12:00 Midnight it is 87°
    But this is the price we pay for having temps in the 70s come January when most of you are looking at (feeling) sub freezing temps.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2007

Several districts around me have started school, and now are off due to heat advisories. These schools do not have A/C.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2007

I talked to fam in South Carolina...got home from work & no power!!! They said it was HOT there as well!!!

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 8, 2007

It amazes me in this day and age that our schools are not or cannot be air conditioned. It drives me crazy!!!!

Irishdave-

Sorry to hear that you AC went out. So how do you like the suite????

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

My previous school is well over 100 years old.... no AC there...

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

We only got our swamp cooler fixed this year it was barely working last year.......... and even though we heard it running I am not sure it was working at all at cooling the air. I know how you feel. Glad you are getting it fixed and glad you have some where to go until then.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2007

The air at my school was out when I got to work this morning... I thought I was going to die! Thank goodness it was today instead of tomorrow (it is the first 1/2 day).

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 8, 2007

It was on the national NBC news that Dayton schools started one day - but are now closed due to the heat.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2007

I hope they are closed the rest of the week! I can't imagine how they would stand it.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

Now you know how I felt for 10 days after the hurricane 2 years ago - and no hotel to go to either.

12. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

Last year we had a few days in September when our A/C broke down. Mind you it's FL and it was about 95 outside. The kids were miserable. I let the kids have waterbottles, and they refilled them many times that day. Its no fun without a/c. I'm surprised many schools don't have it. Wow!

13. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

I remember those days!! I was in the dorms at college. Classes were cancelled for a few days.

14. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

It's hotter than heck and real humid here, too. No A/C in my room as I try to put it together for first day next week. Principal and janitor advise "they're working on it." But, they did come up with a fan for me and that helped. Dare not open the windows cuz it's like a blast furnace out there. 9:50 in my time zone and it's 85 here.

I grew up in Dallas and we did not have a/c til I was a senior in HS! (Ok, so now I'm really dating myself). It was miserable and no one let out for heat. We just suffered.

15. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I grew up in Austin (even hotter) and they air conditioned my HS the year after I graduated. :crosseyed

The first year I taught here in Fort Worth, the air at my 90+-year-old school went out. We opened the unscreened windows, and, while I was teaching reading, a huge BUMBLEBEE flew in.

The kids jumped up and, pursued by the bee, ran to one end of the room screaming "EEEEEEEEEEeeeee!" They saw the bee following, turned and ran the other way, "EEEEEEEEeeeeeeee!"

Where was the teacher? Right there running with the rest of them, "EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee!"

Finally, the bee got bored with chasing us and flew out again.

We just THOUGHT we were hot before our exercise! :D

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

I can just picture that. Too funny!