A\C is affecting student performance

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mr_post22, Feb 6, 2014.

1. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 6, 2014

I teach high school geometry, English, and AVID and last month my A\C broke to where only the heat is on, now that was fine for the cold days, but now that it is warming up, it is getting too hot in there so I have to open the windows and door which lets in humidity and my students cannot concentrate. I have fans running in there. I have talked with my principal and he says there is no where to move me to until the A\C gets fixed, which the mechanics cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I have NO control over my A\C, it is all controlled by the county and they say nothing seems wrong on their end. But this is only happening to my classroom in a hallway with 20 other classrooms in it. I have requested to be everywhere possible (media center, cafeteria, computer labs, auditorium) but I was told that it would be too hard to adjust to a new learning environment. Also, my students grades seem to have gone down because they cannot concentrate on what I am teaching because they are sweating. Have you all been in a similar situation that could be of assistance to me?

P.S I teach in central Florida.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 6, 2014

I have never been in a situation where too hot / too cold affected student performance. I've been in a classroom where there was 100 F outside, AC was broken, and we had a huge, extremely loud fan on, with cords, etc. Students were fine. I've been in too humid, too hot or too cold. Yes, it's uncomfortable but it shouldn't really affect student performance that much.
    Students and I get a little irritated when it gets hot, but we can still think, I can teach and they can learn.

I don't know how hot it is in Florida right now, but you might just have to put up with it until it gets resolved.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 6, 2014

As the teacher you have a lot of control over the classroom atmosphere. Set the expectations and you will be fine.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 7, 2014

It doesn't work that way when you and the children are physically uncomfortable. There's only so much that setting expectations can do in this type of situation.

Anyway, last year I was in a room with spotty AC and heat. About once a week, it was either stiflingly hot, or freezing cold. The cold days were fine since they just wore jackets and gloves. The hot days stunk though, both literally and figuratively. I found letting kids keep water bottles at their desk, keeping the lights off, and having regular break times helped from anyone getting too miserable.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 7, 2014

Have the parents been informed of this? Maybe if they start asking questions you will see some results.

7. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 7, 2014

So the a/c doesn't work and the heater doesn't stop blowing? I can't believe that administration would be making so difficult for you to have class somewhere else! I've held class outside when my a/c has been down, still hot but not as stuffy.

Maybe if you start having class in the hallway, admin will get the picture.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 7, 2014

Subtly encourage the students to have their parents call and complain to the principal, superintendent, and school board. But first make one last request via e-mail to the principal to request him to find some type of intermediate solution until the A/C is fixed. Take a thermometer in the room and snap a picture of it. Include it in your e-mail.

So, how high is the temp in your room. 76 or 78 probably won't get you any help.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2014

I know this would stink...but being from Midwest and a school that had no a/c we had to power through it. I think you have to remind them that they aren't the only ones that are uncomfortable & you are doing what you can. Maybe get them to voice their opinion in a letter. Here we have no choice...
    My first yr our open house the temps feel like temps were over 100 degrees...you want to talk uncomfortable!!! YUCK!!!

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 7, 2014

I understand where you are coming from being from Alabama and knowing that high humidity on an 80* day is much worse than low humidity on a 90* degree day. Take them outside under a tree if you can. Having air moving around you will be better than packed in a sticky room.

11. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 7, 2014

I understand where you are coming from. For seventeen years I taught without air conditioning and with the heat from hell in the winter. My room would be so I hot I would have the windows open in the middle of a blizzard, and we would still be sweating. The kids would beg to sit by the windows. They would stand by the window so the snow would land on their arms to cool them down. (We didn't have screens which meant we had flies and bees in our rooms at other times of the year.) It was unbelievable.

My current situation is like paradise. Does it make a difference in my performance and in the performance of the students? YES!!!!!!

Once in awhile I would go in the nurse's office and take small bags of ice to my room. The children would hold them on their wrists to help cool themselves off.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 7, 2014

I thought you meant the atmospheric temperature, and I was about to say: "Teacher's don't have THAT much control over the atmosphere." :lol:

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 7, 2014

LOL, I know I was trying to choose between atmosphere or environment.

My point is as a 4th grade teacher I have soooooooo much control over the classroom environment and how we deal with it. How you talk to the students and the expectations you set are sooo important and have such a strong effect....especially in elementary school.

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 7, 2014

Likely its the adults making the situation worse. As adults we become so much more effected by these things, kids are quite resilient and succumb easily to the Jedi mind powers of...wave of the hand "it is not hot out right now"...."Pashtun, you were right it is a bit chilly now that you say that....

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2014

Maybe this is true with well-behaved children that will work in all types of conditions with little complaints. But wild children use extreme classroom temperature as an excuse to act extra wild.

Last year, our MS kids would refuse to go into the music classroom because it did not have A/C and the room was a small little box in our modular. Even after the hall monitor round them up and got them into the room, they would run out and lay in the hallway all period. Even when the teacher was willing to teach them in the hallway, the kids didn't want to do any actual work. They just used the heat as an excuse to act extra wild.

16. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 7, 2014

I agree, they will try to use it as an excuse. If it was not the temperature it would be something else...

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 7, 2014

I think you may be confusing it being somewhat warm with it being absolutely, downright miserable. Kids can ignore the temperature being cranked up a couple degrees. They can't ignore getting headaches because they can't drink enough to make up for the pools of sweat.

Maybe it isn't that extent here, but I lived through that plenty in that sauna/freezer I lived in last year. All the good classroom management in the world wouldn't have been even to make the kids forget how crazy the temps were/

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 7, 2014

I live in a area with 1oo plus temperatures. Kids run around outside like its nothing, playing tag..etc. After school sports are not impacted. Adults are the ones going crazy and finding it downright miserable.

Temperature has an effect for sure, I just think TONS of it can be minimized with how a teacher talks to the students, the "atmosphere" they design, and the expectations.

19. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 7, 2014

When it gets above 90, I'm not allowed to go outside, and above 85, they beg me not to take them outside for recess. Kids in different parts of the country get used to different temperatures.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 7, 2014

Oh please...I taught in Phoenix, AZ for an entire year with no AC in my classroom. We had at least 40 100+ degree school days that year. My students did fine academically despite sweating some. Yes, it helps to have AC, but a few weeks in February (even in Florida) you'll be okay. Bring in some fans or have parents bring in some fans.

I am not saying it is not an issue that needs to be addressed. I do think admin needs to take care of it. I don't think it should be exaggerated that the kids can't perform well in February in Florida without AC.

21. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 7, 2014

Ok.

22. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 7, 2014

Oh goodness, I could never work without proper working A/C and heat. How could I expect my students to?

I'm a little spoiled when it comes to things like that, but it's just hard for me to teach when I am uncomfortable. I would be flat out miserable.

Perhaps admin would be more likely to take action if parents started calling and complaining? That always seems to light a fire under their ass... :whistle:

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 7, 2014

I went to elementary school in the south, starting in August for the school year, in schools that did not have air conditioning at all. No central air, no window units, nothing.

We were hot, but the buildings were designed for our local weather. Windows were strategically placed so cross winds could cool the classroom. No room had a west-facing window because the afternoon sunlight would be way too uncomfortable.

None of the elementary schools that have been built in the same city in the last 40 years are the same. Walking into the classroom in August without air working would be horrible. Students would rather be outside in the heat than inside in the sauna.

24. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 7, 2014

I have though about that but people are always walking by and I wouldn't be able to teach them well since I don't have a mobile board

25. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 7, 2014

I have 5 fans placed all around the room and on high, but even with them on, the windows open, and the door opened it is like 95 in my room since the heat never shuts off. I have to turn off most of the light to generate less heat... even if the difference is small.

26. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 7, 2014

The county sets it the A\C at 76. But my room is at like 95. I email my principal and my AP's everyday and I mention it whenever I see them. I had conference night on Wednesday and explained to them the situation and than their anger towards me was reduced and was focused on someone else. I was told that in-order to turn off my heat, the A\C in all the classrooms in the building would have to be shut off. We tried that and nothing changed.

27. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 7, 2014

Secretly clip some wires... that will cut the heat off! LOL

28. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2014

My A/C broke one september. I refused to teach in that room until it was fixed. I took my kids to the library for a week. I got my point across.

Your kids have a right to an acceptable environment.

29. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 8, 2014

Wow! This sounds like the problem. I can sympathize with this because I worked at a public school where we had no control over A/C. One time it wouldn't shut off in the whole school. Even though it was 90 degrees outside, it was below 50 degrees in the whole school. Students wore jackets inside and begged to go outside. This school at that time didn't have windows (against the law now), so there was little to do to help the problem. It took over a week until the problem was fixed. I would continue to get at admin. This is a huge waste of $$$ as well as a discomfort to all in your classroom.

While it is only a small band-aid to your problem, possibly you could talk to the teachers and possibly go to one of their cool classrooms when their students are at PE or music. This will at least give you and your students some relief.

30. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 8, 2014

Invite a parent or two to help out in the classroom. :D

31. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 8, 2014

Point out how much money it's costing to have the heat constantly blowing, even on nights and weekends when no one is there! Money talks.

32. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2014

That sounds more like a problem with behavior management than temperature.

33. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 8, 2014

Ooooooh good idea there!!!! :D:thumb:

34. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2014

I had the same situation, but reversed. Only my a/c worked. I borrowed a thermometer from a science teacher and photographed it to show that it was only 50 degrees in my room. It was so cold, for months by the way, that my kind neighbor donated jackets for all my students. Our hands were freezing and we were shaking with teeth chattering. The situation was resolved only after I strongly pursued the issue. It turned out that the a/c sensor was broken and stuck in the "on" position.

35. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 10, 2014

I have.

36. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 10, 2014

Wanna trade classrooms? My kids will take any room that has A\C at this point.

37. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 12, 2014

GREAT NEWS! The ESE kids are moving to portables over the weekend and I am moving into one of the old ESE rooms. Only... is it downstairs and on the opposite side of the school and I have a lot of stuff.