A bit disappointed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Nov 22, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2014

So I had a meeting with my two supervisors who had nothing but good things to say about me on Friday. The one issue was to "slow down" that I move so fast throughout the day that I might miss something my kiddo's need and that sometimes go faster when they do.

Yep I do that, especially if one of my add kiddos is ramping up I tend to talk faster to keep up with them for a minute or two before I catch myself.....so nothing I wasn't expecting and it was said in a joking manner. They just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to burn out.

Then I got back my evaluation from a 3rd party outside source, done only for my bonus and I get to redo it in the spring and pick the highest score.

It was mostly positive, but the few areas I got basic in hurt my feelings pretty badly.

To put it into perspective I don't' have my own classroom, I go into other teachers rooms to provide support, so I had to pull five to six students from my caseload into my office and turn it into a classroom for the day, teach a 30 minute lesson, show classroom management, student engagement and emphasis on student assessment. Two of which are nigh on impossible. I have a management system for when the kids are in the room and it works pretty well, so that was all okay. But I don't give grades and the kids know it. I got basic in that area.

I also got basic in asking higher level questions and using vocabulary that wasn't advanced enough. I also got basic in facilitating student discussion about the material.

Shesh, I was teaching my lower level 3rd graders how to use the CUBES strategy to analyze story problems. I emphasized that the grade (extra credit from their teachers) would be for properly using the strategy. The students couldn't underline the question! They kept underlining the question mark, so yes I simplified the language to explain the concept. They were discussing among themselves what part was the key word, so I saw no need to voice the request that they do so, since they were doing so on their own.

The biggest thing is I don't think the observer fully understood that these were special ed kids and I was teaching them a skill I was going to teach them anyway. I just could not see that doing an eval that would get me money was a good enough excuse to waste instructional time.

Yeah, I got six proficients and four basics, and the basics all had proficient elements to the danialson framework, so yes I can fix it. But when spring comes, do I think of myself first or the students? And do I bring this up to my bosses before they do, seeing as they got the results before I did (and before the meeting, but after it was scheduled if that makes sense, the meeting is just a common practice at my school)

Thanks,

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 22, 2014

On our evaluation we can add comments. Could you do that on yours?

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2014

No, not with this one. Like I mentioned it isn't an official one, just a third party that comes as part of a grant our school gets and also allows teachers to get bonuses. Though the administrators do take the eval in the spring into consideration toward rehire.

Such a shame as I designed the lesson to meet the needs of the students, versus the "optimal conditions" of the eval team. These kiddos aren't equipped to have a discussion about a new technique immediately after learning it. Yeah, they can say "this will help me do better" but not dissect why it will help them do better. So I intentionally never planned on asking those type of questions.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 23, 2014

My experience with observations is that they are extreme B.S. They serve more to fulfill the observer's need to give certain marks than to ensure teachers are effective. Why? Because "effective" teaching looks different depending on the students and material being covered.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 23, 2014

Do you not think effective observers know what "effective" teaching looks like depending on the students and material being covered? What do you mean by saying" fulfill the observers need to give certain marks?"

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 23, 2014

I think she means that the Danielson model requires a lot of bells and whistles that don't necessarily help kids (well... they all help kids... but not all of them help kids in every lesson) but add an extra check on a checklist.

8. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Nov 23, 2014

I am so glad that my sped admin evaluates me. She understands the sped issues while my principal doesn't get sped and would downgrade me. As for an outside evaluation, just know that you did what you needed to do. I'm sorry if you don't get the extra pay just because you deal with sped.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 23, 2014

I do not like being evaluated in this way, it is WAY to subjective and way to many variables.

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 23, 2014

I know, for the person who is observing me at least, it doesn't matter what the observer feels is effective. Early in the year , everyone gets poor marks the first time, then slightly better, then slightly better... my guess is we'll all have pretty good marks at the end of the year. I think it is so the person evaluating can say to their boss, "Look! My teachers are improving because of my coaching!"

I would rather have an outside, independent observer like the OP describes, but that comes with issues too, as that person knows nothing about your class.

I also think "effective" teaching looks a lot different in SPED, kindergarten, high school, etc. However, all observers fill out the same observation checklist, which can lead to poor marks that are undeserved - like getting marked down for not having higher order thinking questions in the OP's observation. A lot of times there are legitimate reasons for not having a lesson component present.

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2014

Otterpop, I agree. There was a legitimate reason for certain components being missing from the lesson. Why, when I am teaching kids the CUBES strategy would I initiate a discussion about why this is a valuable strategy? I had just introduced it to them.....most of them couldn't find the key words and thought underlining the question mark meant they were underlining the question! That took 10 minutes alone to clear up....which is when I got marked down for using language "too juvenile for the age group". Even worse I got a grade on the classroom set up, I used my office. We have a smart board in their for IEP's, I had to sit the kids at the round table we use for IEP's......it is not a classroom. Funnily enough, I got proficient in that area....go figure.

At least I get another chance at the bonus when they redo the evals in the spring. I just wanted a good one right off the bat.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 23, 2014

We also use the Danielson, but have an addendum for Special Education. Does your district have things to consider like that?

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 23, 2014

I can see how discussing with the kids how the CUBES strategy will help them solve problems is valuable. If they don't understand why they are doing it, what's the point?

Is there anyway your observation in the spring could be while you are in the regular ed classroom? We have co taught classes in grades 4 and 5, and the regular ed and sped teachers are evaluated at the same time during a co-taught block. We also use the Danielson rubric.

14. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 23, 2014

:yeahthat:

.....and :yeahthat:

15. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Nov 23, 2014

What kind of bonus is this?

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2014

I had planned on asking them that to wrap up the lesson, but lost ten minutes explaining what a question was.....sigh

The teachers will be presenting it to their whole classes in the next week or two, and one of the teachers has asked me to present it to her class (three different teachers)

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2014

You know what? I don't know. All I know is it is a big one, if my test scores go up (which they will as several of my kiddos just clicked A on everything....they know the ones in the fall don't count). And if I am an "effective" teacher I get it.

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2014

Nope I have to pull students from their regular ed classrooms, pretend I teach them like that every day, present a lesson I cannot put into the grade books and hope it goes better next time!

Next time I play their game, instead of making sure I am purely doing a lesson that meets the needs of the students.

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 24, 2014

My P told me to use more advanced vocabulary and put more concepts into my lesson the first time she observed me. Yes I could have and I acknowledge that, but at the same time, it would not have been appropriate for that group of students and would miss the goal of the skill I wanted to develop with my students.

If the observer is looking for more "advanced" content in the future, then you should use your stronger kids. I don't agree with it, but you shouldn't be kept from earning a bonus if you're a great teacher who can differentiate based on the needs of her students.