A birthday surprise

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Listlady, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 22, 2013

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share this.

My birthday was Saturday, and one of my students from last year posted this on Facebook:

Happy birthday to one of the most inspirational teachers I've ever had. In just one short year she created a bond with our class and really made a difference in me. I suggest every student should come to her with any problem. She went above and beyond my senior year to make me believe in myself and go on to college. So again happy birthday!

Too sweet! She made me cry. (Don't you just love it when students appreciate you?) And I had no idea I'd really done anything special for this student.

3. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

That's very sweet! My district has a rule against being friends with current or past students on any social media

Btw, happy belated birthday!!

4. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 22, 2013

Thanks. I think that's a legitimate rule. We have a "suggestion" of not being friends with current students, but most teachers at my school are, though. (My policy is that if a student requests me, I'll accept, but I never request them, and I don't discuss it in class at all). I'm friends with the principal and others, and I don't post anything at all "inappropriate." I will, however, post things to remind students of assignments, such as "I hope all my students get their essays done on time," etc. That's about it.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

Love it!