A big ball of nerves!!

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by AmyLyn6315, Dec 8, 2006.

1. AmyLyn6315

AmyLyn6315 Guest

Dec 8, 2006

Hi everybody! I just need a few words of encouragement..

I'm a senior at a college in upstate new york.. In January I am going into New York City to do my student teaching. I'm a big ball of nerves and not even because of the city but because I'm nervous about student teaching. What if my teacher doesn't like me? What if the kids don't respect me? I mean I've managed to maintain a 3.7 in my undergrad but what if that isn't enough?

Also, I was curious if anybody has any tips. When I graduate in May, I plan on moving into Jackson County, Georgia. Does anybody know when I should start looking for jobs? Does anyone know of any job fairs or have any other tips?

I'm anxious to just settle down with a job already and I suppose I need to learn to enjoy the journey!!:)

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2006

Wow, from NYC to Jackson County? That's a really big move. I'm looking at applying in banks county. I suggest going to http://reportcard2005.gaosa.org/k12/Schools.asp?Action=ShowSchools at that site is the report cards for every county and every school system and school. you'll be able to look at demographics as well as financial stuff too. why Jackson, if i may ask?

as for the settling down and just getting a job, i'm with you there. i'm nervous about student teaching as well. but i know that as long as i'm confident, student teaching will go well. i'm worried about the students and teacher as well. but i just sent my teacher an e-mail asking about her schedule next week. i'm going to go in and meet her and the students. that way when i come in on jan 8, i'm not a scary new person. they'll actually have seen me before. good luck! add me to your buddy list and we can keep in touch more!

4. AmyLyn6315

AmyLyn6315 Guest

Dec 8, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions-- I actually have family in Jackson County (and Pasco County, Florida) who have offered me a place to stay while I job search. While I love New York, I feel it would be best to have some experience under my belt before I attempt to get a job up here.

5. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Dec 8, 2006

Amy, Are we the same person? lol I could have written your post. I start st in January too! The best advice I can give myself and you to all the "what ifs" are to tell yourself that whatever happens that "you'll handle it"!! Everyone says to have confidence in yourself but I never knew what this meant fully. I mean I'm scared, nervous and inexpereinced, what do you mean have confidence???? ya know? Well I found that what they mean and what is working for me is to trust yourself, love yourself, be gentle on yourself, understand the situation realistically (as long as your human, you will make mistakes), have the attitude that you count,be positive and give your 100% commitment to this expereince. I went through a difficult expereince which I see as a huge learning expereince now and those bits of advise are some of the things I learned. I wish us all luck this coming semester!!! I know we will all do wonderful.

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2006

I completely agree with that! I just keep telling myself that i'll be okay, if not great! and that i'll get through it. i feel as though, if i can get through this past semester, then i can get through student teaching! i managed to take two methods courses, math and science, plus practicum plus two other classes. if i can get through that, i can get through anything!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2006

Hi Amy !

I student taught in a public high school in NYC. (As a Catholic school kid from the 'burbs on Long Island.) It was a great experience and I learned a lot. Also, knowing that I could survive in such an enviornment (even allowing for the safety net of a Cooperating Teacher) did wonders for my self esteem.

Hang in there-- you'll do great!!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 8, 2006

And remember that there is no one right way to do anything. Everybody kind of makes it work for themselves. Brand new teachers can have great successes even with their first lessons, and experienced teachers have lessons that fizzle out every once in a while.