A Beka

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by corney, Jun 16, 2010.

1. corney

corney Companion

Jun 16, 2010

Parent here,
    I've moved my daughter from public school to private school starting this fall. She will be starting 4th grade. How many of you are familar with the A Beka curriculum? My daughter is Learning Disabled and struggles with reading. She did pass her federal testing and met her benchmarks outlined in her IEP. My concern is will she be able to keep up with this new curriculum, I know nothing about it only that it's a bit more advanced for the State of Florida's standards.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2010

The company that writes the program is based in my town and they have a private school that has a reputation for rigorous education using that curriculum. They also have a reputation for not including children with special needs in their programs. Hopefully, your daughter is close enough to grade level that she will be able to keep up. There is a lot of reading and seatwork with the program. For example, the 3 year old class is expected to recognize their name and short vowels and consonants. The 4 year old class is expected to read sentences and stories with one and two vowel words. The K class teaches cursive writing. It goes on from there. Here is the web site for the scope and sequence so you can do some research on your own:

http://www.abeka.com/Resources/PDFs/ScopeAndSequence.pdf

4. corney

corney Companion

Jun 16, 2010

thanks Swan.... the school she is going to is aware that she has an IEP and said they would keep up with it because it will follow her to college. The principle was very encouraging and felt she would do well. She also said that if she struggled to much in the beginning she could be put back to 3rd to help her get caught up. After looking at the link I think she will be ok in some areas and may struggle in others. I guess it will all depend on the teacher and how he/she approaches her..

5. renmew

renmew Rookie

Jun 17, 2010

You could buy the 3rd grade books for the subject areas she may have difficulty with for summer work.

6. corney

corney Companion

Jun 17, 2010

Good idea.. thanks..

7. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 3, 2010

As a teacher who has worked with 4th graders with special needs over the years, I do not think retaining her in 3rd grade will help her. You will need to see if the school is TRULY willing to make the accommodations and modifications necessary for her to learn. It is not a matter of her being "behind", she learns differently, therefore may need some adjustments in the curriculum to help her achieve success.

I definitely agree that you can work on some skills over the summer to help her, but her success will come down to whether or not the school is equipped to meet her needs.

8. corney

corney Companion

Jul 6, 2010

Thanks Collteach, we've decided to not retain her in 3rd grade, she will go in to 4th. The school has assured me they will follow her IEP and do all they can to help bring her up to the levels she should be.

I was able to move her to this private school on a scholarship for learning disabled children, it also pays for a tutor which the school has already set up for her. They really seem commited to teaching children on all levels, it's encouraging. I hope they can help give my daughter the confidence she needs to really enjoy school, that has been the biggest hurdle.

9. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

That is wonderful! I am glad they have things like that in place at private schools in your area. I know that parents often have to pay out of pocket for additional help for their children who have IEPs at private schools in my area.

Best of luck to your daughter! With the right support, I am sure she will be so successful!

10. corney

corney Companion

Jul 19, 2010

thanks. She really needs some positive instruction so I'm hoping for the best.. she did ok this past year but I know she could do so much better. I think she wants to do better but isn't sure how, hopefully she will get the tools she needs at this private school. I've heard nothing but good things about it.. I have my fingers crossed!! She is at their Vacation Bible School program this week where she will get to meet some of her new classmates. I'm hoping she really enjoys herself.