9th Grade Reading - I need help please!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by LMath85, Jul 8, 2009.

1. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I have been scheduled to teach 9th grade reading for the upcoming school year. This is the first time I will be teaching an English class.

My concern is that I have not been given any curriculum to follow. I was only told that I should have reading passages ready for the students. I have been searching the internet and haven't come up with much. Does anyone have any resources they could share with me?

I would really appreciate any advice and/or resources.
    Ty! :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2009

Wow! What a change. Can you contact another reading teacher and see if they have a copy of the syllabus? Next suggestion-go to your DOE site and look up the standards and benchmarks for grade 9 reading. They may have resources listed at that website also. One more suggestion...it will take some googling. Look up specific high school websites in your state and see if they have 9th grade resources listed. Since all schools in your state have to use the same standards, they should be teaching about the same stuff. At least you may get a list of suggested readings, then you can plan from there. Hope this helps a little. Good luck and have fun...you seem to be going in with an excellent attitude!

4. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 8, 2009

Thank you for the advice. I didn't think to look on the state's website. I will definitely check that out. I have been googling for the past few days and haven't come up with much of anything. I hope to find something because I would like to plan for at least a week or two. Considering teachers and students come back the same exact day, it would be impossible for me to wait til September. Since this is not my specialty, I can't just wing-it!

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

Look up summer reading lists - go to local book stores or libraries, they usually have the high school lists posted. You can get some ideas that way.
    Also, can you start the year with a novel? I don't know what the reading levels are in your group, but try looking up high interest/low level books.
    At least that way you have something to begin with and can move into the school year with a little less stress!
    Finally, check with the 10-12 reading teachers to see what they are doing...