9th Grade English

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Passion4Teachin, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

what book would you recommend to start the year off with for 9th grade low level readers?

what types of activities do you do with the book?

3. forchange

forchange Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

You could do Bronx Masquerade (especially since you'll be teaching in the Bronx). It's accessible, but also has a lot of areas for exploration.

I might start out with making connections (text-to-text, text-to-world, and text-to-self). This books lends itself nicely to connections. You could teach the skill and then have students practice it using post-it notes in their books or double column journal entries.

You could also have them compare and contrast the characters in the book and even make visualization drawings or collages of what they think the characters are all about.

If you wanted to incorporate writing, you could have them write their own entry based on those in the book and a poem to go along with it.

Other books that might really capture their attention are books by Walter Dean Myers. Bucking the Sarge, by Christopher Curtis is great too. Sharon Draper and Sharon Flake are both authors of books you might want to skim (I haven't read them, but my students like them a lot). Also, Gary Soto may be an author you might want to explore. Of course, I teach 7th grade, so I'm just projecting what I think 9th graders might like. Later you probably want to push them towards some of the stuff they will have been expected to have read (you know... the cannon).

My goal for the first book is to get them hooked and allow everyone who makes an effort to have success. Having something they can connect with helps a lot. Also, never choose a book whose main characters are younger than your students. I suggest something with some curse words and some more "mature" content, because you're competing with TV, movies, and video games for their attention. You want them to be buzzing about the book you've chosen.

Lastly, and most importantly, pick a book you love. You wont be able to please all your students (since we all have different tastes), so pick something you, at least, can stay engaged with and enthusiastic about.

Those are my two cents.

4. Engteach13

Engteach13 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

If you are talking novels, I do Of Mice and Men with my ninth grades. It is not a difficult book and the kids all really seem to enjoy it. It is also pretty short so it can be a quick read.

Some of the activities I do

Pre reading-
    Research background info: discuss the life of migrant workers in the 1930's , what California was like, etc.

During -

Character maps, discussion on mental retardation and learning disabilities. Theme

After-

I show the movie with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich and have the students write a film review comparing it to the novel.

I know there is so much more but I have all my stuff at school and am trying to remember from memory.

I also do The Odyssey and Romeo and Juliet but they are a little heavy to start with. I personally start with the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell. Hope this helps!

5. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I started this year off with Sandra Cisneros' "The House on Mango Street." We have a large Hispanic population. This book grabs their attention and gets them to connect. There are several sites out there with activities. I am using a unit plan from the Oakland Unified School District that was posted online. If anyone needs it I can give you the link.

6. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I use Tears of a Tigerby Sharon Draper. She also has a website that provides activities. My low level readers really enjoyed the book. It is a book that high school teens can understand and relate to. We had some great discussions!

7. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

i would love the link to that. PM please! =)

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

Our ninth graders also start with The House on Mango Street. If you have access to digital cameras (or if the kids do), you can have them take pictures of their own neighborhoods and communities and tell its story.

9. fargo21

fargo21 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

of mice and isn't too complicated for english readers? what about the red pony?

10. Hazel QT

Hazel QT Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Great Novel

Great book to start off with! I had to read it for class last year and I loved it. With the large amount of Hispanics they will love the novel. It is also a good book to use in terms of connecting the academic lessons with their culture and society.