99% sure I'm moving to 5th

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Apr 18, 2012

My P told me it looks like I'll be moving to fifth as I had requested. I'm happy because I really don't think 6th is for me, and I'm excited to try something different. I'm kind of excited about setting up a new room, too. :p I wrote a grant for clickers, and I'm going to be bummed if I get them since the room I'd be moving to doesn't have a SmartBoard. :mad: Oh, well. I guess somebody with a SmartBoard will be really happy, lol.

I'm nervous, though. Really, really, really nervous. I'll have to mesh with a whole new set of teachers. It's a small building, it's not like I don't know them or anything. I mean, I get along with people and everything, but it's almost like being the new kid in school. Sixth grade is tested in reading and math only. Fifth is tested in every subject, so that's going to be a stressful change.

I'm going to try hard to be more social next year - like eat lunch in the lounge, which I've only done a handful of times in four years. I think that might help me feel more comfortable with everyone. I know that probably sounds stupid since I've been there four years, but sometimes I feel like the odd woman out. It's not the fault of the other teachers, although there are a few cliques, I've put myself in the situation.

Anyway, that kind of turned into a rambling post!

Beth

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 18, 2012

Congrats! That's great that you're ready for the change, and excited to set up a new room-that shows you're ready for it.

Being more social is a great goal; I made the same commitment this year when I moved to a new school. I attend social events and get-togethers, and I usually eat in the lounge. It really makes work more fun when you know people on a more personal level and can connect with them.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2012

Of course, the really, really cool part of it is that you've already taught 6th. So you know what the kids will need to know when they leave your class.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 18, 2012

Congratulations! I loved teaching 5th grade. I hope you have a good year.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2012

I loved fifth many moons ago when I taught it and I love the students when I work in those classrooms. Enjoy!

I'll find out tomorrow what I'm "penciled in" for next year.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2012

We won't know until the end of June.

In fact, we don't know yet who is "invited" back for next year.

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Apr 18, 2012

Congratulations! That is exciting. Enjoy the move.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2012

I'm glad that your P is honoring your wishes. Moving is always hard, but at least it is a move you want. Good luck!

10. SassyTeach

SassyTeach Rookie

Apr 19, 2012

Congrats - you sound a lot like me. Except I'm getting moved from 5th to 1st (not my choice) because we're losing our lead 1st Grade teacher.

The social side of things is something I'll have to tackle next year too. I've allowed myself to become a bit of a hermit due to lots of lounge gossip, but need to try to socialize more in the future. It's kind of encouraging to hear someone else has a similar story!

Good luck - you'll love 5th!