$99 Chromebooks for teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by msufan, Dec 10, 2012.

1. msufan

msufan Comrade

Dec 10, 2012

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Dec 10, 2012

I just got an e-mail from donorschoose and saw that listed in there. I haven't done a project yet this year since I am swamped at my new school, but I might plan one over break to take advantage of that.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 10, 2012

thank you so much for posting this. i'd never heard of this site until today. i don't like the idea of posting pictures of the kids before being approved for a project, so i used some pictures of their work instead. my fingers are crossed that i'll be selected :)

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 10, 2012

I just posted my project! YAY!

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 10, 2012

DonorsChoose is awesome! I've been funded several times for class sets of novels.
    You can advertise your project to friends/family ... might be the perfect holiday gift idea to donate to your project.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 10, 2012

That is a VERY good idea...I've been dragging my feet about setting up a project on there but I really should!

This Chromebook offer is amazing! My mom's school recently got a grant for them and her 4th graders use them all the time. They do some really cool stuff!!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2012

Could someone write a 'grant' for one for themselves and then just pay the $99?

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 10, 2012

:lol: When I first read the OP that's what I thought they were saying...if you are a teacher you can apply and get a Chromebook for personal use for $99. I was STOKED because my laptop stinks...it's a refurbished dell that's had the keyboard replaced several times and it STILL doesn't work. Also, the battery has crapped out twice...it works if I plug it in, but the second i unhook it from the wall, it turns off.

I paid about $125.00 for it from a Mom and Pop, used computer parts shop.

I use it for school all the time, so technically it'd be a work purchase, but I don't think the program works like that. It said in the agreement all the materials would stay in the classroom

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 10, 2012

Chromebooks aren't great for much more than internet use, so they're not really replacements for full-use laptops. That said, with all the web apps these days these are powerful cheap tools for school technology education!

Our department head wants to get a full class set of these. Neither of us have heard back yet.

But yeah donorschoose is awesome. I got a class set of goggles from it, though my hole punch project hasn't really been getting funded.

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 10, 2012

Ah okay, I'll stick to my trusty old Dell then until after Christmas when I pony up on a newer laptop.

The Chromes would be perfect for my classroom because the kids never use the word processor, excel or any of the other programs on the computer, rather they stick to reading and math intervention software, most of which are internet based.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 10, 2012

Well a lot of the word-processing and office tools that traditionally come with computers can now be found for free on Google Docs, (i.e. word, excel, powerpoint, etc.) except that because it's online it offers more collaboration tools so kids can work in groups on projects at the same time from different computers.

I saw it in action once and it is VERY cool.

13. msufan

msufan Comrade

Dec 11, 2012

There a waiting list now... if any of you got in before they ran out, that's awesome!!

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 11, 2012

I posted my project, and so did another teacher in the hall. We need to wait for DonorsChoose to review them, but it seems like there's still a chance they could run out.

15. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Dec 13, 2012

Chromebooks

Looks like it's over, as they're out of Chromebooks.

Update on $99 Chromebooks offer

Update as of December 12, 5:30pm eastern time: As of this afternoon, every available discounted Chromebook has been requested. There was a finite number of units available, so the item has been removed from Lakeshore Learning's catalog.

If you've submitted your project, it will be reviewed and posted on DonorsChoose.org to receive funding.
    If you've started working on your project and already added Chromebooks in step 4, you should complete the remaining steps and submit your project.
    If you haven't created a project but entered your email on our form, no action is needed. We'll email you if more Chromebooks become available.
    If you're hearing about this offer for the first time, read on for instructions.

Here's the link

http://help.donorschoose.org/app/answers/detail/a_id/419

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 13, 2012

I got mine in...now just to get it funded.