90 min classes in MS?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aussiegirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

:help:What is your view? Our school is considering going from 45-48 min core classes to 90 min blocks. Students would have two core classes on M/W and the other two on T/Th and 45-58 in all on F.

Do you have 90 min blocks in MS? If you came from shorter periods, did you find more was accomplished in 90 min?

I'm worried about how to suddenly change my lesson plans from 45 min classes to 90 min blocks. I'm sure it isn't a matter of combining two lessons.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 21, 2010

Your district should be offering some form of Professional Development to adjust to the new schedule.

4. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

That sounds like what our middle schools and high school in my district did for few years. They called it block scheduling. After about 3 years, they all went back to a traditional schedule. The major complaint was that the teachers would teach for the first 45 minutes and the rest of the time was used as a study hall so not a lot was accomplished.

5. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jul 21, 2010

We did the block scheduling a few years ago and I wish we still had it. It was great, especially for science. We could learn about, complete, and clean up a lab all in one day.

The math teachers could teach a topic and do hands-on work with it with the extra time. It was nice.

6. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 21, 2010

At my school, the students have 90 minutes of math and language arts/reading every day and 90 minutes of history or science on alternating days. I teach science, and I love this schedule. I feel like we don't waste as much time on transitioning and changing classes.

Plus, I feel like I accomplish so much more. We can learn a new concept, do an assignment, experiment or hands-on activity, and assessment all in one day. You don't necessarily have to teach 2 lessons per day, but with the time allowance, it is easier to combine concepts.

Also, 90 minutes allows you to switch things up several times per class period to keep students engaged. The language arts teacher I work with has time for writing activities and individual reading time in each class, in addition to the direct instruction, assessments, or whatever else she has going on that day.

7. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

When I student taught-- I taught in 72 min blocks. I had the same kids everyday for the same 72 min. I LOVED IT! I was able to take my time going over homework and answering questions-- also, being able to teach math in baby steps--- which I also love.

I just accepted a position at a middle school where we have 82 min blocks. I will have the same kids everyday during their block time. I'm LOVING this. A HUGE reason as to why I accepted this job (I had 2 offers). It's great what I can accomplish in that time.

Now, the difference is that you split your week up between kids--- I don't know what I think about that. I guess you will be teaching 2 days worth of stuff in a day. Maybe figure a way to teach a concept, give some classwork on that--- then teach the second lesson and give some classwork on that. (That was if they can't do the classwork-- you have time to reteach).

8. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

Thanks for your input esp. about what your LA teachers do. I've been thinking it over and am liking the idea more and more. There are so many times I've rushed thru things due to time constraints - now I have more time to go to the computer lab, do in-class projects, more time for writing conferences. Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I get caught up in my worrying and lose sight of the big picture.:eek:

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

This is what my MS school does as well.

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 22, 2010

I have also taught on a block schedule for middle school. Classes were alternated on a day one day two format. Personally I would have loved this as a student. I do like it as a teacher because I can cover more material at one time and it means fewer transitions for my students. Unfortunately a lot of schools up here are dropping the format because of the cost. So the administration says anyway.

11. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 22, 2010

My school started a 110 minute language arts block this past year and I absolutely love it! At first, I thought 110 minutes was way too long for language arts, but I quickly learned that there is sooo much more I can teach my students with that much time!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 22, 2010

For several years I had my language arts students for 100 minutes every day. I absolutely loved it! When we had to change back to 60 minute classes, I actually cried.

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2010

At my kid's school it is 90 minutes but only 3 or 4 classes at a time which last half the year and they switch to completely new classes in January. Teachers love it but it takes getting used to for the kids - if they fall behind they can get behind really fast (same with teacher's grading). All in all, great reviews.

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2010

This will be my third year teaching 90 a minute math class after teaching a year with a 45 minute math class. There are a few teachers that think 90 minutes is too long, but the majority love it. At first we were worried about how we would fill the time, but it worked out fine. Now I have lots of time to review, do a lesson, have extension activities, etc., without feeling rushed. I used to feel so rushed trying to get through just the lesson in 45 minutes. I can't imagine going back to a 45 minute class.

15. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

Thanks folks. I'm feeling better about it. I also figure I can take a quick 5 min break for the kids to hit the bathroom/fountain or just move around before continuing. It gives me time to take them outside for class in good weather too. I'm getting excited!

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2010

When I was in school, they tried this on my team when I was in 8th grade (I think). It was kind of confusing for me (from a student's view point) for a while. Now as a teacher, I can see the benefits of having students for an extended time.

17. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

The middle school I attended did this. 90 minute blocks of four on M-Th and then all 7 classes for 45 minutes on Fridays which they called Tiger days since that was our mascots. I remember liking the variety of not seeing the same teacher everyday and feeling like I had more time to do homework and we could do a lot in class.