9 Tips for Finishing Your Grading During the School Day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Nov 7, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 7, 2019

There are some good, basic ideas here if anyone feels that they're drowning in grading. Especially could be helpful for new teachers. Some comments on Facebook mentioned teachers felt insulted by the simplicity of the suggestions and I get that too. The tips at the end about eating lunch, going home, are not the helpful at all.

https://www.weareteachers.com/tips-getting-grading-done-school-day/

One tip I'd add is to use the technology that's available to you if it makes grading easier for you. If you can assign quizzes or assignments online, the papers don't physically stack up - although you do still have to grade them.

Anyone else have tips to add for quick grading?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2019

I used Zipgrade for multiple choice tests. You print the bubble sheets from the website, set up the key on your phone or tablet, and just scan the student sheets as they’re turned in. It was a great help, and my department didn’t have to buy as many Scantron sheets.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 8, 2019

I sometimes have groups submit papers to grade, instead of individuals. I create homogeneous groups (by ability and work ethic) and have them discuss their answers to an assignment. Then, they get a blank sheet to fill out together and I grade that one paper instead of four. A student is welcome to abstain if they aren't happy with their group's answers, but that has never happened.

I often provide feedback, not grades. I still have to read through some of each paper, but I don't have to look at all details. I'll typically circle the parts I read so students know that I didn't look for mistakes on the rest (so they don't think it's perfect when it's not) and jot down a comment. Saves time reading, assigning a grade and placing the grade into the grade book.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 8, 2019

I never work during lunch, and I very rarely take work home. It can be done.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2019

I stopped taking grading home and it's been amazing. I do 1-2 completion grades per week which takes no time. I then grade 1-2 exit tickets per week which takes me 20 mins total and I do that during lunch or prep. I don't grade classwork worksheets for correctness because I don't think that is useful feedback and it takes way too long.

I have 2 tests per quarter. I grade them as the kids take them and use a tracker that calculates scores. I may go in early to make sure these are graded since tests do take longer.

I grade one hw packet per week on completion which takes me 20-30 mins total.

I take lesson planning home but I hate taking grading home. I used to take it home every day last year and I hated it!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 9, 2019

1. I learned that as I wandered, I could check a lot while the kids worked. If a paper had 25 Q's, I might memorize the 1st 5-10 answers and wonder around, I'd check the page as kids worked on it and put a small line where I had stopped checking.
    Some kids were always done early and I could stand over their desk ( looking like I was helping if admin walked in...lol) and check the whole paper.
    Then I might focus on the next set of answers and wander, check, put a small line. It worked best in math, vocab, or where there was only 1 right answer. Usually 9/10 of the papers would be graded by the time the kids were done.
    I'd just have to go back and check a few with lines on some of the slower workers papers. I liked my kids to take time to check over, reread and edit their answers when written skills are graded, so it did not help w/ writing assignments.
    2. For writing assignments, I had the kids read important essays and projects aloud before they turned them in , so they caught more of their errors. I gave them about 10 minutes to rush back and fix anything they'd noticed. Then when I graded, I remembered the content of a lot of them. (Like if some were way off base or right on target.)
    3. Also, if something unimportant hadn't gotten graded in 2 wks, I'd ditch them all after school.
    4. The 1st 9 wks of school, I was a grading fool, so the kids knew if they did not do something, I would know. Most just figured I always checked everything, but by the 2nd 9 wks, a lot more practices went into the trash. By then, I'd usually figured out those who were most likely not to turn something in and check on them.....Also, I did grade 1-2 practices a week and they never really knew which 1 they were going to get back.
    5. Another huge time saver, was when certain groups ( usually 4-5) got done, they'd bring their work to a cluster of desks without pencils, see if they all had the same or different answers. They'd have to figure out whose answer was right and why some might have an error.. Like what step did they skip or did they regroup incorrectly? This worked best with high to medium high levels. The kids were usually very honest about which ones they missed because if they were not, kids would tell.
    6. By the middle of my yr, I seldom had any papers sitting around ungraded. My last 10 yrs teaching, I never took work home to be graded. The 1st 9 weeks, I hustled, but it made the rest of the yr so much easier. Plus, you have more energy the 1st 9 weeks. :)