9/11

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bonneb, Sep 8, 2007.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 8, 2007

With 9/11 falling on Tuesday . . . is anybody doing anything special in recognition of this day? I want to do something that will focus on our country, our bond with one another, even though we don't agree on lots of things.

Any ideas or plans?

3. looking in ct

looking in ct Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

I teach 2nd grade and my kids were babies on that day! Hard to believe!

I don't think our school is doing anything, I am new to the school. I always wear a special pin on the anniversary that someone gave to me after 9/11.
    If students ask about it, I just say its a good day to be patriotic and explain what that means. I don't go into details about 9/11 itself. I leave that up to the parents.

4. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

Our school is going to have a school wide pledge around the flagpole followed by a "silent" parade in memory of all the victims of that tragic day. We have also sent out stars to be decorated and displayed throughout the school.

5. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

I teach in a Christian school, so I am doing a special prayer time. We will make a bracelet with red, white, and blue beads. When we put on the red bead, we will pray for our military, firefighters, policemen, etc. The white bead will be to pray for our country. The blue bead will be to thank God for our freedom.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 8, 2007

Great ideas! Thank you. It is comforting to know I am not the only one thinking of this day.

7. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Sep 8, 2007

I teach at a military school so we will be doing something on that day. Our school is lame in my opinion! All we do is gather around the flag and say the pledge together. I am going to read the story September 12th and we are going to talk about heroes. Since I teach 2nd and this will be our first full week of school we are going to do an all class writing on heroes.

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 8, 2007

Our school wears red, white, and blue by grade level:
    K: red
    1st: white
    2nd: blue

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 8, 2007

I have a lot of mp3's of music that was popular on that day, interspersed with commentary and on-site reporting.

It makes me cry whenever I hear it, but it's really, really good.

My students will be writing about their reactions.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 8, 2007

I have a hard time thinking about what to do. My kids were toddlers at the time. I will probably find an article to read for current events.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 8, 2007

Our school has an assembly where they sing some patriotic songs they learned in Music class. My kids were not even born when this happened and I have a really hard time explaining it to such young children without scaring or confusing them. But we will definitely do something about heroes in class.

12. elempsych86

elempsych86 New Member

Sep 8, 2007

Another good book to share with your students is "The Day Our World Changed: Children's Art of 9/11" It brings 9/11 down to a level that children can understand mentally and visually.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2007

My second-grade son was an infant when it happened.

I'm rather open as a parent. I've discussed a number of topics on a more adult level with my son than most parents might, and I try not to shy away from things because I think he won't be able to handle it intellectually.

However, I haven't been able to really broach 9/11 with him. Part of the reason for this is that I was in the WTC at the time. I escaped (obviously), but many friends of mine did not.

Maybe it makes the horror of it more real for me. I imagine nightmarish things at times -- jet fuel coursing into full elevators, gaping black pits in the center of buildings, floors and ceilings compressing onto crowds of people, and of course, people trying to get to the broken windows and either jumping, or being pushed from behind. I knew the people -- I knew who was smart and kind and who was annoying and stupid, who was pregnant, who had young children at home, who was in the midst of divorces or new romances.

If I were to relay 9/11 to my son in any kind of meaningful way, it would be too much. I would pass on too much of that day.

I don't know what my son's school plans, but I'm grateful for whatever it is. There are few things I wouldn't trust myself to teach my son if I had the time, but this is one of those. Whatever they do will probably be better.

So, to all you teachers dealing with this topic, I want to thank you. That includes if you deal with this topic by simply saying it's a good day to be patriotic or if you actually explain what happened that day.

14. sundayn

sundayn Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

Any good books to read about patriotism?

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2007

16. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Sep 9, 2007

There is a book about a man walking between buildings that is also about Sept 11th. I can't remember the title.

I don't think our school is doing anything, but I will wear my flag pin. We wear school shirts each day so I can't wear patriotic colors.

17. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 9, 2007

We were going to have a special ceremony with a flag retirement but it fell through with the boy scounts. I'll wear a red shirt and maybe read "September 12th". The book that the pp poster mentioned is "The Man Who Walked In Between the Towers"

18. sundayn

sundayn Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

19. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I don't think my school is planning on doing anything, I live in a small town. I will probably wear red that day...I lived and worked in Houston at the time, and remember some of my co-workers that had family members and friends in NYC that they weren't able to get a hold of that day....thankfully they ended up okay. It's an added sadness that my boyfriend's mom passed away 2 years ago on 9/11.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2007

Tomorrow is one of my fam members bday. She says when she tells people they usually say Oh sadly.

21. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 10, 2007

I just got my Scholastic News and there is a short article. I am going to read it with the kids and we will discuss it.

22. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

i dont do anything for specifically 9-11 b/c i believe that is for the parents and there discretion. But what we do is make Thankyou Card for the local fire dept. Ive been dont that since then and every year ive worked in a different county of GA so it would go to a different Dept, every year.