9/11

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Sep 10, 2013.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

I teach first grade and always struggle with how to address 9/11. I don't want to ignore it, but I don't think they are old enough to completely understand either. I think I am going to focus on the fact that it is a day to remember all of the heroes that keep us safe (police officers, firefighters, soldiers, etc.) and a day to remember how proud we are to live in America. We are going to write letters thanking firefighters and make a class book about what we love about America. Thoughts?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2013

Awesome idea...Love the letters and Class book idea!:thumb:

I little late to find it but there's a great book called 'Max' by Bob Graham about a family of superheroes. Also 'Courage' by Bernard Waber..

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

i teach 7th and do just that. I show them a brain pop video for some background info and then have them read an article about the aftermath and how it is a day of doing good deeds (mygooddeed.org has some good stuff).

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 10, 2013

Before 9/11 I remember reading about a teacher who was holding and annual celebration of all the folks who respond to 911 calls. That seems similar to your idea, and a good way to honor the date without calling attention to the sadness that may be too much for your first graders.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 11, 2013

I ignore it because I'm so afraid a parent will get upset :(

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

Last night we had Frosh Parent Orientation. I mentioned that tonight's homework was going to be "borderline insultingly easy"-- they're to watch a Cyberchase episode on negative numbers. I explained that I'm not sure who is going home to what sort of situation on 9/11-- my kids were toddlers when it happened, and I have no idea which of them lost a parent or other relative. I also may have kids absent-- some are singing at the dawn ceremony at Point Lookout, others go to Ground Zero each year for the reading of the names.

So today's class is very low key, nothing that can't be missed. I'll work around anything else, but in my class, 9/11 is sacrosanct.

A parent stopped by to thank me for that. Her husband is a NYC fireman, and today is a tough day in their house. He waited at the doorway as she spoke to me, and just nodded when she thanked me.

I think that one way to phrase it with young kids might be to discuss the fact that there was a big explosion in NYC, and that so many police and firemen and everyday people bonded together to help strangers. You don't have to mention why there was an explosion, or what happened to so many of those brave helpers.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 11, 2013