9/11

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by flowerpower31, Sep 4, 2011.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

Our school would like us to do something with our classes for 9/11. Because it's on a weekend this year, we will be doing it on Friday, 9/9. I'm looking for ideas of what I can do with my Pre-K kids. It will only be their second day of school, so I'm thinking just a very, very basic, age-appropriate explanation of the day and then talking about how our country pulled together and we should be proud of our country, etc. and then have them color a picture of an American flag. Does anyone have any other ideas? What are you doing with your class, if anything, to commemorate the day?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

Maybe I am wrong, but unless I was in New York or somewhere directly affected, I think I am uncomfortable bringing those images and ideas into the minds of 4 year olds. Maybe just do something patriotic?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011

It was a day of helping each other, of bonding together, of forgetting those things which makes people we don't know "strangers." People in crisis simply helped each other.

The Red Cross was flooded with blood donations.

In the following days, people raided their pantrys to find things to send to the first responders.

My son started his first day of preschool on 9/11. My neighbor (whose daughter is the same age) and I stayed in the yard all day long, away from the TV, because we were afraid our kids would see the images. A day or so later, I was raiding our pantry to get stuff to send over to the local high school; they were sending a truck of supplies in. Brian asked me what I was doing, and I explained that there was a big fire in the city, and the firemen were getting tired and needed to brush their teeth. He found a bag of goldish-- his MOST FAVORITE snack at the time, and added them into the bag.

Firemen and EMTs from all over the area rushed INTO NYC to help. And all those heroes rushed INTO those two towers to help the people inside.

Oh, wait. How about a focus on the people of Gander, Newfoundland:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=149950&highlight=Gander

Anything there help at all?

5. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

I feel the same way. It won't be mentioned in my classroom this week or next.

On the day it happened 10 years ago, I had to tell several student teaachers, that were working in my room at the time, that it wasn't appropriate to be talking about it around the children.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011

I'd go with the idea of doing something patriotic during this time with little ones (if you must). Why not have them do the American flag? Add cut up pieces of red construction paper for the red stripes; color the "box" blue and add foil stars. Something fun and good for their little fingers. :)

7. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

It is a very important day in American history and it is OK to teach children about their history in a manner that is appropriate for their level of understanding. I would concentrate on "helping each other" in times of crisis. Just as we help those that are less fortunate than ourselves. Children do understand helping other people. You could do something about first reponders who are very important "community helpers" One year I just concentrated on "community helpers: first responders". We made cards and dictated letters of thanks to the EMTs, fire department, and police department and I delivered them. The first responders were so appreciative of our classroom recognizing their importance in the community.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011

Do a unit on community helpers this week. Invite the fire dept to bring their truck to your school. Make kids feel safe...don't talk about the tragedy with kids so young.

9. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

Thanks, everyone! You have some great ideas! I work in a private school and we are having a prayer service in honor of 9/11. I'm not positive that we're required to do something, but it was mentioned that we should be thinking about something related to 9/11 to do in our classrooms. I wanted to be ready in case it is required. I think I'm just gonna focus on the heroism/community helpers and the patriotism and do a flag thing (perhaps the one that TeacherSandra mentioned). Thanks again!

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 6, 2011

A "helping hands flag" where the children make the stripes by painting hands red and going along the line and put while hands on the blue square to be the stars. Helping hands are what makes our nation strong. Talk about community helpers, leaders. Place props in the dramatic play section for the week. Talk about fire safety, stranger danger and do other regular themed things. There is plenty out there for PreK on fire and police and even service projects. Yes, write and dictate letters for fire fighters or police officers.

It was my sons first few days of Kindergarten. I tried to keep him from knowing, but on the West Coast so many of our news radio alarm clocks were already alerting parents, or children's cartoons were interrupted that nearly everyone found out. It was a lot of work to keep everyone on the straight and narrow.....in the end they all knew, but I don't retell the events very often to children of 4 and 5yrs.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2011

Not necessary to bring this up to children this young.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 6, 2011

Yeah, I'm not covering it. I don't even know if my daughter's K class is going to cover this. I would prefer they didn't until they are older and can understand the whole thing better.

13. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 6, 2011

Did you not read what I posted? There was the potential for this to not be an option for me.

Anyway...

I found out today that we in fact are not expected to cover it in our classes. The way it was brought up in our orientation made it sound as though we were going to need to. Thanks to those of you who gave helpful ideas! I appreciate it! :)

14. dibba

dibba Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

And figure 10 years ago even some of the parents of your preschoolers were not even in their teens.

I wouldn't talk to a 5 year old about 9/11 at a preschool, if the parents want to bring it up they can, but I don't think it's appropriate.

15. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 13, 2011

Telling me that you wouldn't talk about it is certainly not an answer to my question, but okay. :rolleyes:

To those of you who offered suggestions: thank you! I ended up not having to cover it. The way it was mentioned in our meeting led me to believe I would have to, but I double checked and found out that that was not the case. Thanks again, though! :)