9/11 Classroom Activity

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blessedhands, Sep 8, 2009.

1. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

Anyone doing anything in particular to commemorate this important date in America, 9/11?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

I'm not sure if I will this year. In the past I've done a variety of activities. When I taught seventh grade, I covered two tallish boxes with butcher paper to represent the Twin Towers. My students then printed the words that they thought represented the best qualities of Americans on a card, explained their choices, and attached the cards to the boxes. I've had my seniors listen to Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" and respond to the lyrics. (When Saturday Night Live went back on the air after 9/11, Paul Simon opened the show with this song.) Last year we did a quick round-robin poem where I went around the room and each student added a word or told me where to break the lines. I might do that again.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 8, 2009

Not something I plan on touching Friday. That's the day for our school is having Grandparents Day so we have a full agenda already.

Of course my students weren't alive at the time, so it is a bit too abstract for them to comprehend. We're prone to worries enough in ED.

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Sep 8, 2009

I always read "The Man Who Walked Between the Towers" to my class.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2009

I read 'Max' by Bob Graham. It's about a boy born into a family of superheros who finds a way to be heroic by doing small acts of kindness.

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 8, 2009

We just mention it, no teaching about it. My students were born the year it happened.

8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Sep 9, 2009

I would love to do something with my kids since I think it's obviously important and had a huge personal effect on my life. But I teach 1st grade and some of them don't even know about it and were all born years after it happened (which is CRAZY to think about...).

Also, I'd probably end up crying halfway through the lesson, so...maybe I'm not ready to teach about it yet.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 9, 2009

I went and re-read the lyrics just now. I print them here for purposes of the discussion:

I am just a poor boy, though my story is seldom told.
    I have squandered my resistance,
    For a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises.
    All lies and jest.
    Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

When I left my home and my family I was no more than a boy,
    In the company of strangers,
    In the quiet of the railway station, runnin' scared.
    Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters,
    Where the ragged people go.
    Lookin' for the places, only they would know.

Asking only workman's wages I come lookin' for a job,
    But I get no offers,
    Just a come-on from the whores on Seventh Avenue.
    I do declare there were times when I was so lonesome,
    I took some comfort there.

And I’m laying out my winter clothes, and wishing I was gone, goin’ home
    Where the New York City winters aren’t bleedin’ me, leadin’ me goin' home.

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade,
    And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down,
    Or cut him 'til he cried out in his anger and his shame,
    "I am leaving, I am leaving."
    But the fighter still remains.

What does that have to do with 9/11 - other than some references to NYC?

Maybe it's DEEP (and I am just not thinking deeply), but I don't see the connection.

10. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

I heard there is a new curriculum out that is being tested in several states about 9/11. It has been receiving some good reviews, but I have not read any analysis about it from classroom teachers.

I believe our social studies teachers are doing something on Friday.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2009

I dressed in red, white and blue today. I wore my World Trade Towers commemorative pin which was given to all the staff in 2001. I also wore my red, white and blue Swarovski crystal bracelet my mom gave me for Christmas 2001.

My school is in Northern NJ, less than 12 miles from NYC. The town fire department went to help on 9-11.

I was the only one who remembered to wear red, white and blue/the pin today although a couple of teachers smacked their heads and were sad they forgot. Forgot? really? It was the first thing I thought of this morning- my dh and I held hands and said a prayer before we even got up. :(

12. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Sep 11, 2009

I think the stanza about the fighter being cut and beat up and then the final line "the fighter still remains" offers a pretty obvious metaphor of the boxer being the people of NYC or even the U.S. Obviously the song was written years before 9/11, but Simon is a born and bred New Yorker, and he chose to sing that song, so that meaning must have been there for him. That's the great thing about poems - you can interpret them how you like as long as you have a little bit of evidence ;)

13. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 11, 2009

I didn't exactly talk about what actually talk about 9/11 in detail with my kindergarten kiddos, but we talked about Patriot's Day, and what it meant. Then we discussed different heroes for our country. In my classroom, we said the pledge around the flagpole and we made cookies for our local fire dept. It was a good day.

14. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Sep 12, 2009

Hey that served well I bet!:thumb:

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 12, 2009

What a great idea.

I read The Man Who Walked Between Towers to my kiddos.

16. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 12, 2009

Thanks Hoot and Blessed. I have been discussing over on the Kindergarten board how I was torn on what to do. I feel that it is a very important event in our nation's history, but at the same time I didn't know how I could make it appropriate for kindergarten kiddos, without scaring them. It was a fun time for all!

17. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 12, 2009

Yesterday I discussed it with my students in a very general and broad discussion. Without going into too much detail I told my second graders that there were some bad guys who took over the planes and so on. Then we talked about what it takes to be a hero. We word splashed some traits of a hero and what it means to be an American. Then the students wrote about their personal hero and displayed it on wall. I think it is important that they know what happened but I try to keep things positive.

18. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Sep 12, 2009

This is so sad. As the years have passed I've grown really unhappy with how many people just seem to forget. The whole point is NOT to forget so we continue to be prepared and proactive so that something like this can't happen again.

It was the first thing I thought of, too, yesterday. I cried in the shower thinking about it all.