8th Grade Reading Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Aug 15, 2010.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 15, 2010

8th Grade Reading Interview UPDATE

I just got a call half an hour ago for an interview TOMORROW for an 8th grade reading position. I have never worked with middle school kids in an academic setting, and I'm trying to figure out how to play up the experience I have with elementary kids. I'm assuming that some of the strategies are the same, modeling what you should be thinking whiole you're reading, identifying main idea, summarizing, etc.

I'm scrambling to do my research and prepare for the interview. The interview is almost 4 hours away so I won't have time before my interview tomorrow. Any advice would be incredibly helpful.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

Good luck with your interview today! I have learned that grade 8 students are my favourites! I use a balanced literacy approach and review use of all of the reading strategies. Although they "know" the strategies, they need to learn how to apply them to the more sophisticated texts they are now reading. Applying the strategies to reading textbooks and other text forms is also important. Tying in media as much as possible--song lyrics as poetry, movies and video clips as text, etc.--will engage your students and make them more aware of how they need to "read" the messages they are bombarded with every day.

Let us know how it goes.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2010

Good luck, rice07owl!

5. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Be yourself. Tell them that you are willing to learn and have always been interested in the middle school age. Seem eager and passionate!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 16, 2010

Have fun with this! GOOD LUCK!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2010

Just wanted to say good luck!! Let us know how things go! :)

8. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 16, 2010

Update: I went and for the first time I am MAD that I didn't get a job. After driving for 3.5 hours, I get there and while I'm waiting I see the P offer the job to the candidate ahead of me!!! I was so mad, but I didn't show it during the interview (which if I hadn't known they had picked the other candidate I would think I had a good shot). After the interview I waited outside while they talked and I, of course, was told that they were going with another candidate, despite my good interview. As ticked off as I am for the horribly unprofessional interview process, I am REALLY glad I don't have to work for someone that unprofessional.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2010

That's awful...huge hugs. I'm sorry that you drove so far for that experience. At least you know though, like you said, that you wouldn't want to work for that P. :(

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 16, 2010

Well, you never know when another position just might crop up and the P would be kind enough to give you a real interview. But really, I would feel ticked myself!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

Sorry that things worked out the way they did.

12. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 16, 2010

WOW, that IS terrible. I'm sorry for everything! I would have called out the P after my own interview..."Oh you've decided on another candidate? You mean that one I saw and heard you offer the position to before MY interview? Yeah, I know. Well, time for my FOUR HOUR drive home! [enter expletive here]" Ok, I totally wouldn't say that, I just like to imagine I would.

You did the right thing in maintaining YOUR professionalism. At the very least, you got some interview practice in. It's just a shame you had to waste so much of your time for it.

13. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 16, 2010

Believe me I WANTED to say something, but you never know who that P knows. I wish I could appreciate the interview practice, but this was my 8th interview this year (not counting the 5 I had at job fairs). I often get complimented on my interviews, despite the fact that I tend to think I do terribly. I'm still just ticked that they called me last night and had me drive there for the interview and then it didn't matter. PLUS, the AP seemed irritated that I don't have experience with middle school. They should have known that before the interview... it's on my resume and the online app. Overall, just a horrible experience.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2010

That's awful! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.