8th grade novels?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by MrsDW, Mar 13, 2007.

1. MrsDW

MrsDW Rookie

Mar 13, 2007

Which novels do you use in your 8th grade curriculum?

3. opuszen

opuszen New Member

Mar 14, 2007

I use Call of the Wild to work with theme. At the end of the year, they get to choose between Across Five Aprils or Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry to go along with history's civil war unit.
    I am trying to get more, but it is like pulling teeth in my district. You basically have to write a dissertation about why and how you will be using them, then be grilled by the principal about them. If the principal doesn't get you, the parents will! When I first came to this school, the only novel they had enough of to use with the children was The Giver. I received SO many parent complaints, I just finally gave it up.

Sorry, not much help I know, but I am interested in seeing the other responses you get.

4. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Mar 14, 2007

My school does about 4, but I just remember The Giver and The Outsiders. I teach 7th grade, so that's all I remember them talking about.

5. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Mar 14, 2007

Some of the books they read are The Pigman, The Outsiders, The Call of the Wild, West Side Story (Play), and and few others that I can't seem to recall.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 14, 2007

4 Perfect Pebbles, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Merchant of Venice, and Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.

7. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Mar 24, 2007

Where the Red Fern Grows, The Witch of Blackbird Pond (both really popular with my students over the years), Zlata's Diary, The Watson's Go to Birmingham, I Heard the Owl Call My Name.
    Many 7th & 8th grade novels are pretty interchangeable. I use the following in gr. 7: Holes, Anne of Green Gables, The Yearling, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, The Door in the Wall, Murder on the Orient Express, Johnny Tremain.
    I also suggest: My Side of the Mountain, The Westing Game

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 24, 2007

Aren't those reading levels kind of low for 8th though?

9. Katerie

Katerie Rookie

Mar 25, 2007

We used, according to my brother:
    The Effect Of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds
    The Pearl
    Holes
    Seedfolks

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 25, 2007

I'm using Island of the Blue Dolphins with my 5th yo 8th graders. Though I think it would be rather easy for 8th graders in general. It works out well for those that 1 don't like reading and two that are below grade level.

11. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Mar 25, 2007

In eight grade we read:

The Hobbit
    Frakenstein
    Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry
    Dr. Jeykll and Mr Hyde
    Diary of Anne Frank
    Midsummer's Night Dream

Then poetry unit we did...
    Road Not Taken (Memorization)
    Then we made our own poem book.

This was awhile ago, so I hope I am remembering right, but I have everything I have ever done, and I know all the books are right except for maybe Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that might of been 7th grade.

12. tkate

tkate Rookie

Apr 10, 2007

We teach Night (which I feel is a little advanced but it is great as a time to grow up and stop reading little kids stories book). I like it because it really promotes a great class discussion as well about humanity and what makes us human (I used it as a jumping board for a project on philanthropy and changing the world). We also teach Freak the Mighty (which the kids like, but I feel it's more appropriate for 7th grade and teaching tolerance and acceptance). I also do The Giver and The City of Ember as a literature circle book (1/2 the class reads one the other 1/2 the other and we discuss).

13. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Apr 10, 2007

In 8th Grade I know that our students read Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men. Although I am a long-term sub that started in January, so I can only tell you what they have read while I have been here...

In 7th, they have read The Outsiders, The Giver, The Pigman, The Westing Game, Where the Red Fern Grows and more...that I can't remember.

What about doing literature circles of books based during American History? My Brother Sam is Dead (a low level), any Ann Rinaldi (may be girly though...) etc.

14. msb

msb Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

As I mentioned in another thread, I've taught The Giver without any complaints. In book club, we are reading The Giver, and this year, in class, we will read The Outsiders. I would like to squeeze in one more book, but I'll see how we do with the pace of The Outsiders. Our principal would probably not approve of me doing a novel since we're so test-focused; however, I'll do it anyway since the kids really get into the story, and the activities are something they enjoy. Besides, at the end of the story (The Giver), the students come up with their own last chapter of the story. Each student reads their story to their table group, and they decide which one is read at the end of the period. They spend at least one period writing it, and we all enjoy listening to the stories the following day. They were all so creative, and different! :) Don't give up on the novel!:love:

15. msb

msb Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

By the way, I haven't done literature circles in my class yet, but if you could give me some ideas on how to start, suggestions, and caveats, I would be so grateful! :)

Thanks!

16. tkate

tkate Rookie

Apr 12, 2007

Yes any help on lit circles would be great! THis is also my first time doing it - I'm a little nervous.

17. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Apr 12, 2007