8th grade Math in the News Project

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by firstyearteache, Sep 28, 2009.

1. firstyearteache

firstyearteache Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

I have subscriptions to our local newspaper and I want to use them! Has anyone ever done a Math in the News Project? I would love to pull a bunch of different ideas together. If anyone has any ideas at all I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

3. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

I do one every few weeks - here is my assignment.

Math Is Real

Mathematics affects our lives in countless ways. This can range from the simplest of perimeter calculations that gardeners do when purchasing fencing, to more complex volume equations that chefs use when cooking, to “rocket scientists” using advanced calculus to get to the moon.

An ongoing assignment this year will be to apply the mathematical concepts that we cover in class to “real-life” events.

Each week you will find an article/story from various sources (newspaper, internet, magazine, books, etc) and relate the ideas contained in these stories to the work we are completing in class. Some weeks I will assign the media type, others you will be free to choose what you like.

Requirements:

-Work from the previous week may be used

-3 paragraph response

-Summarize the article’s mathematical concepts as it relates to our class (THIS IS NOT A SIMPLE SUMMARY)

-Talk about the ways in which math is being used.

-How is this like our class? Different?

-Provide a sample problem that the mathematical concept could solve. This does not need to be solved, but must relate to the concepts covered in class.

-Explain ANOTHER use of these mathematical concepts in the real world. No research is needed, instead, try to take what the article talks about and expand upon it.

Due Date: Every second Friday, covering material from the previous two weeks (11-14 days ago).

4. firstyearteache

firstyearteache Rookie

Oct 8, 2009

This is awesome!! Thank you!