8th grade class novel help

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by dkjackson, Jan 8, 2011.

1. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jan 8, 2011

My team and I are thinking of incorporating a class novel into our curriculum next year, and I was asked to come up with some ideas because I'm the biggest reader on our team. The 7th graders this year are doing two class novels, and we think that, due to that preparation, we'll be able to read and discuss a class novel with this same group next year. I would love some suggestions from all of you. I will tell you that they read the Giver in 6th grade, and in 7th, they are reading Hunger Games and the Outsiders. We want to steer clear of some of the Holocaust-y things I've seen mentioned in this forum (Diary of Anne Frank and Night) because we've already incorporated bits of those into the curriculum and we do so much Holocaust stuff already. Something more modern like Hunger Games would be great because we hear from 7th grade all the time how into it the students are. We thought about reading Catching Fire (second in the Hunger Games series), but we're fairly certain most of the students have read it already.

Anyway, any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

3. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jan 8, 2011

Sharon Draper novels-Tears of a Tiger, Forged by Fire and Darkness Before Dawn are a trilogy. Also they'll love EVERY Bluford Series book-most of them go together and they all have great themes, along with a study guide book!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

Tunnels and the Inheritance Trilogy are both 8th grade novels that we've done in our school.

5. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 8, 2011

http://www.jordansonnenblick.com

He is a local author and does author visits at schools. He is a former teacher. In one of the schools I teach at we read his books and the kids absolutely love them. They actually get excited and say "oh yea I love this book". I am not an english teacher, but you don't hear that often when reading with 7th-8th graders,

His first book Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie is about a teenage boy and his little brother who is diagnosed with cancer. It is a moving provocative story. Of course I cry when I read it.:eek:

6. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jan 8, 2011

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! I'll look into everything mentioned. Keep the suggestions coming :)

7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jan 11, 2011

What about "The Curious Incident...." by Mark Haddon? I gave it to one of my eighth-graders for Christmas reading and she loved it!