8 year old needs something to do

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MuckeyBusiness, Nov 27, 2009.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Nov 27, 2009

So this summer was a rough one for me and the kids I nanny for. I had three kids 3, 5, and 8. The 8 year old and I butted heads a lot and it made for a rough summer. I think the reason that it was getting that bad was because she was bored. I didn't plan much because it was the first month or so of being a nanny and it was hard for me to concentrate on what I had to do when it was a house setting. Christmas break is coming up soon and I don't want what happened this summer happen when they're home from Christmas break. Anyone have any ideas of what to do with her so she's not bored, some activities or something. I figured one day we could have a cookie baking and decorating morning but what are some other things?

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Nov 27, 2009

I don't know what she is into, but I know my second grade girls love making jewlery, putting on shows (dance routines, plays, etc), playing house or school, painting, board games, and sports.

4. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Nov 27, 2009

I agree with all of the above. If you have a Michaels craft store near you, you can buy little activities for her to do that only cost $1. Items such as painting your own sun catcher, coloring books, making beaded jewelry, and also rolls of lanyard. My third and fourth graders love braiding lanyard and Michaels has a nice selection of colors. I buy these things for the reward basket.

5. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Nov 27, 2009

she has done plays with her friend who lives next door. She's really into jewelry and crafts and all that stuff. Very much of a girlie girl as well...

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Nov 27, 2009

Let her do your makeup and hair, have a manicure party, dance to her fav music, play store. I used to like having pretend cooking shows or talk shows. Rent irish step or hiphop dvds and learn them together.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 27, 2009

ShrinkyDink Ornaments are so much fun! I know WalMart also sells lots of craft kits of Christmas stuff in the craft department - key chains, potholders, trinkets to paint, etc... Oriental Trading has good deals on crafts too, but they may come in sets of 6 or so - maybe she would like to make things like that to give as gifts.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2009

My 8 year old loves to go roller skating. If you have a rink nearby, it's usually pretty inexpensive and fun. We've been taking our girls since the youngest was three.
    Also, we play LOTS of board games and do LOTS of crafts. One thing Molly really likes to do is weave potholders with the old fashioned loom & loops. You can get kits for this at Michael's.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2009

Also...
    Don't know where in Indiana you are, but if you are close enuf for a day trip to Chicago, all three kids would probably love going to the Field Museum of Natural History. My daughters ask to go see the dinosaurs regularly.

10. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 27, 2009

All great ideas!
    8-year olds still love the Indianapolis Children's Museum - if that is closer and do-able. Are there any plays nearby that she would enjoy? Another idea is to ask her to list 10 things she would like to do, then tell her you will pick 3 (or a reasonable number). Make sure the 3- and 5-year olds get to pick some activities, too, so Miss 8 doesn't think the world revolves around her...Can you find an activity for her where she is doing something for others?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2009

Ask Santa for a sewing machine.

She can start small, with pillows. Hit www.fabric.com for some nice specials-- I got my daughter 11 yards of fabric for about $35.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 27, 2009

Does she like puzzles? Jig Saw, Crosswords, paper and pencil games. I got a great one for my GS at Learning World. Clay, have her make a dollhouse.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2009

Use sheets to make tents in the house

Go sledding or ice skating

Begin a latch hook or simple cross stitch

Write thank you notes

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 27, 2009

I had 4th graders at a camp this summer that I would a counslor at. We had ever momment of the day planned by a director but the only time that was not planned was at night. Most counslors would go to the staff house at night, and then tell the kids lights out at 10pm not me and my other counslor friend. We would go from about 7-10 hanging out with our kids. We let them play with our hair(fixed anyway they wanted), paint our nails, play card games(apples to apples, uno etc), take pictures of them with there friends, read them stories(yes even at 4th grade they still liked us to read them chapter children's books, let them do our makeup or face mask on us, we did all this too them too. Just the fact that we took the time to play with them ment a lot. I always loved the sitters who played with us when I was little. The ones who sat and watched tv or talked on the phone were the ones I begged my mom not to watch my sister and I. There is a book you can order called kids concoctions if you have not heard of it you NEED to order it she will love it!! You can make things to play with or crafts using things she prob. has on hand or cheap to buy. Here is a link: Kid Concoctions Ultimate Book Starter Kit Combo $24.99
    This is at target, but I have seen it other places just google it.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 27, 2009

Another suggestion would be to take her bowling or to the movies. Or take them all on a field trip to the dollar tree or stores and say you can pick one item. Go to the rental movie places and rent some movies. Idk if you are a live in nanny or if you ever spend the night, but I had sitters when I was little that would spend the night my parents worked a lot of night shifts and so she really needed to spend the night as they would not get off till like 7 am. I loved it and it was like a pj party. Kids love it when someone other than mom hangs out with them they feel cool. Let her share secrets with you too. I loved being able to tell my sitters things I did not wanna tell my mom(not bad things just things I did not wanna share with just everyone)

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2009

I don't know why I'm in "picnic" mode, but you could put together a picnic basket - sandwiches, cookies, chips, drinks - and head on out to a nearby park...if the weather doesn't permit...have a picnic in the living room, rent a favorite movie.
    Maybe you could have a highlight of the day:

Monday - Picnic day
    Tuesday - Game day
    Wednesday - baking day
    Thursday - craft day
    Friday - Go into town day...movies, roller skating, museum, etc...

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 29, 2009

Have her make sock puppets or paper bag puppets, make a ginger bread house, have her go through her toys and make donations to the Women's Shelter or Salvation Army. Buy some water paints, finger paints, add some glitter to jazz things up a little.

18. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 29, 2009

You guys make me want to be 8 again!!