8 Myths About Suicide That Every Educator And Parent Should Know

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Sep 2, 2016.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 2, 2016

I originally posted this on Facebook and realized this is an audience that really needs to see this.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016...de-that-every-educator-and-parent-should-know

Some of you know I am the survivor of a suicide attempt in my teens. This upcoming January will mark 30 years since that event, and I am so glad to have had this second chance at life. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by all the things I almost missed.
    Please make a note of this link and think about it during your interactions with the younger generation. I will be taking this back to my school and talking about it with my teaching team.

teacherintexas and MrsC like this.
  3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 2, 2016

Number 4 and 5 hit me especially hard. My first suicide attempt came when I was eight after weeks of planning.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 2, 2016

I've never actually made an attempt, but I've been visualizing various strategies since I was about 7 years old. Hasn't even been a year since the last one... That said, I'm happier right now than I've been in years.

And that's something that even my closest friends don't know about me.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2016

I'll be sharing this with admin and my team next week. Most years we have one or two students in grade 7 and 8 who we know have given suicide more than a passing thought. We are blessed to have an incredible Child and Youth Worker on staff who is able to work with kids we identify for her, or who approach her on their own, but we, as classroom teachers, need to be aware of those who don't talk to us.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 2, 2016

I found out one of my homeroom students in my new school has attempted multiple times. It's what made me start talking about my own experiences to my principal and teaching team. I have no tattoos, but I am strongly considering getting the semicolon one on my wrist in January to mark my survival.

@gr3teacher and @bella84. I am so glad you are here in this world with me.

MsAbeja, bella84 and MrsC like this.
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2016

We need to have these conversations so that we can break the stigma. One of the hosts of a popular morning show here has been very outspoken about not sweeping mention of suicide under the rug. He went on a mini-rant a few weeks ago when reporting on a highway closure because of a "police investigation". He said, "Never mind a "police investigation, It was a suicide. We need to say it, and talk about it, if we are going to help." I've always liked him, but my respect for him increased tremendously that day!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2016

We have yearly state mandated training in suicide awareness and prevention.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 2, 2016

I have a student who is now hospitalized for treatment after a suicide attempt a week ago. I've had the trainings for years, but no matter how much I relive that last day of school, I can't see a single clue. We're in limbo right now. We haven't heard anything from his family since the attempt. He was a new student at our school. My heart is broken waiting for news.
    I came very close to an attempt myself, in college. No one in my family or circle of friends know that. My attempt was very spontaneous, though. I was having a very hard time, but suicide wasn't on my radar at all. I was driving, saw the spot in the road, and came very close to choosing not ot make the curve.

10. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Sep 2, 2016

Thank you for sharing! I just started my first year teaching. We met with the counselor who informed us of suicide. Being a pk-3 elementary, I didn't think a situation like this would likely happen here, but there was actually an attempt with a 3rd grader just last year. It can happen at any age and it's important we are informed.