8 bulletin boards?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lucylucy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Hello All!

my new classroom has 8 bulletin boards! They are all medium sized. Any idea what I do with 8??? 2 for student work? 1 to post student jobs? 1 for calendar? Any ideas are definitely welcome!! I will be in a self contained first grade special education class - so anything that is appropriate for preK-1st/2nd is appropriate. Thanks for any ideas!! :)

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 3, 2009

1 for Calendar Math
    1 for Social Studies
    1 for Science
    1 for Math
    1 for Reading Goals
    1 for Class Rules and Consequences
    1 about Computers
    1 for Displaying Student Work

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 4, 2009

My first rooom had 3 that were 4x8 and 3 that were 4x4. I know how you feel. I used one for my own things. One for a reading challenge. Another for rules posters, schedule, birthdays, another for the calendar things, one for student work, and another for student work. I tried to leave about half of them where I didn't have to change them as often. Luckily for me, I loved bulletin boards!

5. minnie

minnie Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

How about a word wall? One of my bulletin boards posts the grade level standards.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

My classroom has 6 large bulletin boards, and 5 small ones, and I still don't have enough room to put up all the things we are required to display. I have to resort to hanging things over the upper blinds with skirt hangers, and posting posters way up above the chalk and bulletin board.

We have to have:
    =Calendar Math (this takes more than 1 bulletin board because we have to use every component for the month. UsuallyI use a large bulletin board, the back of the door, and part of the wall under the chalkboard.) So this is bulletin board 1.
    =Word Wall -- this takes 2 bulletin boards because we are required to have the words at least a certain size. So this is bulletin boards 2 and 3.
    ==Content word wall for each content area -- So I need one for Social Studies, 1 for Science, 1 for Math. So this is small bulletin board 4, 5, and 6.
    ==Have to have a computer display with the districts's internet safety poster and the district's internet use policy displayed. This is bulletin board 7 and 8.
    ==Have to have "word strategies" posted near my guided reading area. This is bulletin board 9.
    ==Have to have a bulletin board to display excellent student work, such as exemplars that are in the expert range and writing samples that are at a mastery level. (This can be small portions of other boards or the smaller bulletin boards.) This is bulletin board 10.
    ==1 board dedicated to rules and consequences. This is bulletin board 11.

Now if I want a bulletin board for say a number line, an alphabet line, motivational posters -- I just have to make room for those on the wall.

I can't imagine having a bulletin board "just" to decorate a theme. That is a luxury we don't really have.

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Wow! I only have two bb's in my room. One I decorate over the bookshelves in my theme, and the other I chose to put up figurative language posters. I never change these. Anything else I want to put up (rules, calendar, etc.) goes on the walls above the chalkboards or right on the chalkboard!

8. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Aug 4, 2009

word wall
    character ed wall
    photos wall

9. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

I had a lot of bulletin boards in the room I had last year so I made one say we're going green out of recycled paper (I made the letters out of newspaper) and the students had to bring in ways to go green and hang it on the board. It was really fun!

10. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 4, 2009

You are SO lucky! I have TWO!

11. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I don't have ANY!

12. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

A few ideas

- a place to display excellent work (I actually just decided to do this BB myself this year) ...just noticed a previous poster already said this :-/ but it is still my favorite idea :)
    - a place for each unit you are studying
    - Star of the week board
    - Book review board (or just books kids read)

The biggest thing I find myself doing with the bulletin boards is monthly themed art (usually with a core subject tie in). The kids love doing it, and my class generally has it for what they do after they finish their seatwork before they go to centers while I am doing reading groups. It works great, is fun and time consuming for them (so they don't have all day at centers) and then I always have beautiful kid art filled walls.

13. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

We now use mountain math/language and use a bulletin board for that. Most everybody else has a bulletin board to decorate with a cute theme; however, I chose to put my smart board over that and keep the dry erase board to write on! I hate decorating bulletin boards. Now for our reading series we have to have a concept/questions board.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

I don't have any, so here are the different areas on my walls:
    calendar
    reading
    classroom library
    student work
    word wall
    class rule
    writing
    student of the week
    teacher area

15. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

thanks for all the help!!

16. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

First graders loose a lot of teeth. You could have a tooth pictograph. Carson Dellosa makes a post-it pad of a tooth. I always make my birthday graph with a pad of cupcakes horizontally and my tooth graph vertically. It is a good way to model both types of graphs.

17. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Try to keep most up all year so at the beginning of each month you are not trying to change 8 bbs. Do calendar and one other to change, but keep word wall, b'days, lost tooth, rules, jobs same. You might want to do sci/ss/math that changes w/ each unit or theme. Search LA Focus Wall on this site and use this for a reading/la wall.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Take pix and keep a record of what you used and what worked/didn't work...so next year - it'll be a breeze!

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 4, 2009

I'm sure with all these great ideas you'll end up running out of space :D I wish I had more bulletin boards than I already do (1 for my science room--- I can borrow another 2 if I need them). Students love to see there work up in the class or hallway--- so any chance you have of showing off their work, I highly recommend doing that.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2009

You can also incorporate interactive bulletin boards. Here are suggestions for your 1st grade room- maybe one for graphing/surveys every week, one for vocabulary for the story you are currently reading, one for your calendar/announcements, one for charts you and your kids make together during (mini) lessons, one for Student of the Week (if you have one) where they can add pictures of themselves, and maybe one for pictures of your kids throughout the year. Honestly, though, I wouldn't make a bulletin board for rules and consequences- you can put that on your wall by the board in the front of the room.

I have... one large one in the hallway, one large one inside, four regular size ones, and two whiteboards, one of which is turned into a fabric-covered magnetic bulletin board at the back of the classroom- I have three "bulletin boards" made out of that board and two extras at the front board. My boards are really long, and I don't mind covering part of it with fabric...

I also have two portable cork boards I convert into mini interactive bulletin boards (more this year than any other). One will probably be an opinion board- ie. "What do you think the main character should do next in the story?" "What would you have done in his/her place?" Etc.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

These are great ideas! My first room had GREAT board space. I had a calendar, a personal board behind my desk to tack notes onto, a podcast press board, a world timezone board (clocks for several different countries with a huge map), book recommendations, math museum, AR results.... I can't remember the rest. Many were floor to ceiling, and I split them in half bottom and top. I used fabric, and I would put two different fabrics on the bottom/top, and then line them with different borders. I had a BLAST changing those up.

Sigh. Now I'm dreaming of wall space....