7th Grade Social Studies Period

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by willow0505, Jul 16, 2014.

1. willow0505

willow0505 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

I will be transitioning to 7th grade social studies and would like to find out how current middle school history teachers run their class period. I will have 49 minute periods and want to make sure I make the most of that time. What does a typical day look like for you?:)

3. Mystic

Mystic Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

I don't currently teach SS (I teach ELA now), but I have taught 7th grade SS in the past. Mine was 45 minutes

A few things I kept in mind when teaching SS was to always have a Do Now/Warm UP (pre-printed if possible) so that all students immediately got to work. It's a good way to preview the day's lesson topic, or review from the previous day. The Do Now could be review questions, identifying something on a map, reading from a text, etc.

A review of the Do Now with as many student voices/volunteers. as possible and teacher clarifying any misconceptions.

I made sure that students got the opportunity to talk with each other and share ideas. The more your students talk with each other (meaningfully), the more engaged you will find they are. However, it is important to model how to talk meaningfully and share answers. Also, put a time limit on sharing "you have 3 minutes to discuss/share"....

The big push for SS is to incorporate Common Core. So definitely motivate students to find evidence to support their answers.

So basically on a typical day it alternated between independent 5 minute Do Now, whole class share of Do Now, independent work, partner work/share, and sometimes, class share out. I used this for pretty much whatever materials I used at the time (video, article, textbook).

All I can think of right now. Hope something helped.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2014

With middle school I avoid transitions like the plague. We do a 5 minute bellwork/warm up and then a 40 minute lab or activity.

5. willow0505

willow0505 Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Great ideas! Thank you so much!!

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 21, 2014

I do a wide variety. I plan 3 different activities a day usually. My periods at a little longer, 1 hour 15 minutes. Then if we don't get to the 3rd I will have them do it for homework. I try to make sure it is a combination of group, partner, individual work etc. This is not including the warm up.

7. Bubba

Bubba New Member

Nov 7, 2014

good idea

Keep them busy, keep them interested, differentiate the instruction

8. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Nov 28, 2014

1) warm up (8-10 min). I collect papers and check homework during this time.
    **When I'm ready to start instruction, I always point their attention to my homework board and give them a rundown of the day.
    2) go over last night's homework. Usually takes 5-10 min.
    3) direct instruction of some sort. I try to keep this no more than 30 min and I pause to ask questions often. If they're taking notes, I incorporate the questions into their notes.
    4) some kind of classwork activity that connects to my instruction. This is usually when I hand out homework (if there's a paper to hand out). If I run short on time, I skip this and quiz them on whatever they learned today or vocab or something we went over already.

That's pretty much how a normal day goes. On test days there is no warm up, but I give them a few minutes to study at the beginning of class. On quiz days I'll do a warm up and then immediately have the quiz. Sometimes I'll get to instruction, sometimes not. I always have history-themed crosswords for them on quiz and test days in case they get bored and start making mayhem. Overall I like to be serious but to also have fun and show the kids I enjoy my job and my subject.

9. willow0505

willow0505 Rookie

Dec 1, 2014

Thank you MLB711!!