7th grade reading

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by zus_123, Jul 10, 2006.

1. zus_123

zus_123 Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I am new to teaching 7th grade reading. I have taught 23+ years but this will be a first for me teaching 7th grade and I am scared and needing lots of help!! Do guided reading groups work in 7th grade? What motivators do you use? How do you set up your room/room arrangement? What are the "must haves" you recommend? Is it 'hokey' to decorate my room using a theme? I hope I get lots of tips from you 7th grade experienced teachers! I REALLY need your ideas and help! :D Thanks!

3. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jul 10, 2006

grouping ideas

I just did my student teaching in middle school math but spent a few days in the 7th grade literature class too. The kids loved group and partner work.

The 7th grade teacher had a reading buddy system where each student was given a clock at the beginning of the year with a different classmate's name written at each hour. She would just tell them to get with their ___ o'clock buddy for the day. It gave the kids variety of partners throughout the year, and nobody could feel left out because they didn't have a partner. It worked really well for her, you just have to coordinate everyone's clocks with 12 peers who they will work okay with. This could actually work for any subject.

Also, for each novel, the students has a specific reading group (assigned by teacher) that did not change. This way they could work on ongoing group projects, question packets, etc. I've also seen it where each group is reading a different book but by same author, in same genre, etc. and each "book club" eventually presents to the rest of the class.

Even with assigned groups/partners, the students definitely enjoyed working with others a lot more than by themselves!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

I don't think a theme would be hokey as long as it isn't cute-sy. 7th grade girls still love animals, though.

5. zus_123

zus_123 Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

Thank you so much for the great ideas! I love the clock buddy idea and am going to use it!

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 11, 2006

I was planning on using the clock idea with my 7th graders and have a clock template to use with it. I'll post it later when I have a few extra minutes.

Anyone have a similar idea for getting students into groups of 3 or 4? I was thinking I could always combine clock partners myself but I'd like something equally as automatic.

7. zus_123

zus_123 Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I would love to see your clock template and more ideas for grouping!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 11, 2006

I'm starting my 14th year of teaching this year. I've always taught English, and 11 years of that have been exclusively middle school language arts/reading. Most of that has been with 7th graders only.

Do guided reading groups work in 7th grade?
    No, I don't use reading groups. I use literature circles sometimes, but not all the time.

What motivators do you use?
    I try to keep them busy . . . and be consistent with my expectations. That helps with keeping them motivated. I also give specific praise when they do well, send notes home, and display their work.

How do you set up your room/room arrangement?
    I have 30 students desks. They're arranged in rows of 3 (some two) facing the MIDDLE of the classroom. My whiteboard is in the front of the classroom, and my SmartBoard is in the back of the room. The kids need to be able to see both easily. I also put them into groups sometimes.

What are the "must haves" you recommend?
    I'm super organized, so I like LOTS of organizers. However, I've found that the best way to decide what you need is to just get the basics and then see what your needs dictate from there. I know that when I started I bought "cool" stuff and things recommended by others and found that they weren't useful to me at all!

Is it 'hokey' to decorate my room using a theme?
    For my class, I'd think it was hokey . . . but I also think it's hokey in elementary rooms as well. That's just my secondary nature coming out, I suppose. :p In fact, I'm so "non-hokey" that people were amazed last year when I put up a "The Latest Buzz" display in the hallway--complete with bees. I'm working in my room Friday, and I hope to post photos over the weekend.

9. zus_123

zus_123 Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

You are a such a wealth of info! Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions in depth. I appreciate it!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2006

Well, you could form groups of 3 by getting kids together with two buddies six hours apart (for example, 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock buddies), and groups of four by going by fours (12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, and 8 o'clock)...

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 11, 2006

I am trying to post the clock template. Anyone know how to attach files? The FAQ page said there would be a "Manage Attachments" link on the compositon page if we were allowed to post attachments. Are we allowed?

12. TomJ

TomJ New Member

Jul 19, 2006

Were you ever able to post your Clock Buddy Template? If so, where can I find it? If not, can you send me a copy via e-mail? Is it OK for me to tell you my e-mail address??? Thanks! TomJ

13. busyteacher

busyteacher Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

I teach 6th grade and have received lots of compliments on my very themed rooms. I love decorating and often become obssessed! Do you have any ideas yet? need something to run with they I can suggest to you? email me Kim

14. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

One thing I do in my 7th grade lang./lit. class is to carve out some time each week for the kids to do self-selected reading (or outside reading, or SSR...whatever you call it). I have pillows, stuffed animals, and a small couch and I allow kids to move out of their seats onto the floor to read.
    They look forward to this time each week and often BEG me for more time to read! I make sure they are actually reading, of course, by monitoring (lots of walking around on my part) and I hold reading conferences on a regular basis to keep track of what books a student has read, how long it has taken, what page he/she is on now, etc.
    I also do lit. circles as well, but I wanted to mention this because many teachers ignore this important component to a reading class (many kids have zero time after school to indulge in recreational reading and so by providing the luxury of losing oneself in a good book, we are helping promote lifelong joy readers).
    Good luck next year!!