7th grade nonfiction

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by teachnyc, Apr 30, 2007.

1. teachnyc

teachnyc New Member

Apr 30, 2007

Hello everyone,

I have to select a non-fiction book for my incoming 7th grade to read over the summer. I having a difficult time selecting one that I like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Apr 30, 2007

Maybe Anne Frank?

I can't really think of any other nonfiction that would be interesting or appropriate for that age level. Good luck!

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 1, 2007

How about Chew on This? It is the kids version of Fast Food Nation. I'm going to be starting it with my seventh graders next week. It really does a good job of talking about how companies get kids to want to buy/eat their products. I am going to tell my kids that they don't HAVE to read the chapter on slaughterhouses; it is kind of gross.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 1, 2007

Maybe something issue-related... Something about ecology? Sports figures? An ecological system - wetlands, desert, etc.?

6. Sarkfollower

Sarkfollower Rookie

May 1, 2007

Guts by Paulsen is a true account I believe- and a really great read. You could do "Guts" and "Hatchet" together... He wrote Guts after Hatchet which profile the "true stories" behind Hatchet and the Brain Books. It is pretty exciting stuff- plane crashes, heart attacks- all the stuff that captivates young minds (and old for that matter). It really makes you feel like you are living his experiences. You may want to do something more traditional like Anne Frank with some historical relevance but the kids really respond to "disaster literature" as I like to call it. Blood and guts without too much blood and guts- LOL. Guts is a more current read. I like to put up a picture each day of some Alaskan scene to get them visually connected to the material. It is an out-doorsey book. Loved it!