7th Grade Math - Textbook

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Genmai, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Nov 10, 2009

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 10, 2009

I've used it. It's a fairly good textbook. Its assessment program is lacking, it only has mid-chapter quizzes and I prefer to give Quizzes on every 2 sections, at least. Not that I use book materials, but if you do their assessments are lacking. I also used the worksheets instead of the book as homework, just because I liked the set-up of them better. I used the book for in-class work only.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2009

I taught 7th grade 2006-2007. We used the Sadlier Oxford New Progress in Mathematics series: textbook and workbook.

I liked it well enough; I could always find some homework examples and they covered most of the topics I wanted to do. I didn't make full use of the workbook simply because I had never used one before and had trouble getting the knack of integrating workbook with the more difficult examples I wanted to include.

But it's certainly worth a look. I taught all 180 7th graders in my Catholic Jr/Sr high school. They're currently sophomores and I have a LOT of them again (having had many of them last year too. For some reason, I seem to be stalking this particular grade.) They tend to be among my best students, with a firm background in the basics.

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 11, 2009

Math Makes Sense - I think it's Canadian. It focuses a lot on communication so it can be wordy, by I like it. A lot of teachers don't, though.

6. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 11, 2009

We use Prentice Hall Mathematics Pre-Algebra. I think it's technically a high school book, but I teach at a private school and they strive to be at least a grade ahead of all the other schools in the district. For 6th grade, we use the Prentice Hall Mathematics Course 1 and 2.

I really like Prentice Hall. I think they break it down nicely for the kids and have lots of examples.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 11, 2009

I never used a textbook to teach. The kids used workbooks for homework - Saxon and Glencoe.

8. Limegirl

Limegirl Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

I teach 8th grade math in a low performing public school and we also use the Prentice Hall Mathematics Pre-Algebra and Algebra book. I also agree that the book is a higher level math book and therefore currently using the pre-algebra book in my 8th grade class and hoping to move to the Alebgra book in a few months. I love how the examples are step-by-step, but usually create my own tests and quizzes.