7th Grade English Reading Book Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Sarkfollower, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarkfollower

Sarkfollower Rookie

Apr 25, 2007

I am switching careers next year (from marketing to teaching) and I am beginning to plan my year! I have been reading several young adult books and trying to figure out what to teach. I want to have a few books to read aloud to the class a little each day and I am having a hard time finding the perfect book! I really liked The Giver by L. Lowery but it may be a bit too "over the top" since it touches on issues like euthanasia. I am not so sure how that would go over with the parents! I do want a thought provoking book that is maybe a bit suspenseful and a fun read... any suggestions?

Also... any thoughts on how to teach vocab that makes it fun and interesting for the kids? I was thinking of doing a "word of the day."

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 25, 2007

My aide this year has read to my fifth to eighth graders this year: The Giver, Holes, Huck Finn, and two others that I can not remember right now.

4. Sarkfollower

Sarkfollower Rookie

Apr 25, 2007

How did The Giver go over?? I am a little nervous about using that book.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 25, 2007

I'm going to close this thread because you have two threads going on the same question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.