7th grade English - 45 min block

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by texasmom, Feb 6, 2008.

1. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Feb 6, 2008

Hello! I'm interviewing for my dream job tomorrow morning!! It's 7th grade English at a junior high close to my home. I really want this job! Not "a" job, but "this" job!

Can you give me a sample breakdown of what a 45 minute 7th grade English class would look like? How much time do you spend on DOL's / bell ringers? Do you do writing, grammar and reading every day? Or do you break it up and concentrate on one area per class period?

What about homework? How much homework is appropriate for this grade & subject?

I have a 5th grade daughter who only has homework on Tuesday nights (called TAKS Tuesday). I like the idea of that.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Michele

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2008

Congrats on getting the interview! There's a posting in my district for next school year for a middle school ELA position that I would love to get as well. I would only allow about 10 minutes for bellringers, briefly go over it. Since you only have 45 minutes, I would do Monday-vocabulary, Tues-Reading, Wed-writing, Thur-grammar, and then use Friday for testing or catch up.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I might be needing your advice.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 6, 2008

We have 60 minutes, but here is my breakdown . . .

5-10 minute flashback/opening activity/DOL/bellringer
    15-20 minute AR reading
    30-40 minute lesson--introduction/guided group/independent work, depending on the needs of the day

I don't give homework.

5. msb

msb Rookie

Feb 8, 2008

Hi, I have 7th grade English--approximately 45 minutes per period. I start off usually with 10 minutes of bellwork (5 minutes to complete and 5 minutes to review answers)--usually grammar or vocabulary. On Mondays and Fridays, I have them write in their journals for 5 - 10 minutes (3/4 of a journal page). During the week, we go over spelling for 15 - 20 minutes. It depends on the unit. I might spend more time if they have a difficult time with the words (usually with words from French origin). During the week, we will do literature during the 20 - 30 minute time period. At the end of the period, I'll take about 5 minutes to go over the homework. When they have homework the previous day, the following day I'll take approximately 10-15 minutes to review the answers, so maybe we won't get through the entire short story on that day.

I think department chairs and administrators like to hear that you have some sort of DOL or bellwork in the morning--set routines. Also, my department chair later told me that it was important that I taught grammar, spelling, and content standards; she said that was what they were looking for in an English teacher.

By the way, each of the English teachers do some sort of bellwork, but we have the flexibility to do it the way we want.

Good luck with your interview! :)

6. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 9, 2008

My seventh grade English does not include reading because they have a separate reading class. I really enjoy teaching reading so that part is kind of too bad.

Mine are horrible spellers so we spend about 20 minutes a day on spelling. Then the rest of the period is spent on writing.

Good luck.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2008

So how did the interview go?