7th grade ELA Inclusion class

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ELAteacher, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ELAteacher

ELAteacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Hi, I am going to be teaching an inclusion class this year, which is brand new for me (This is only my 2nd year of teaching). I will have one Special Education teacher with me, and probably a paraprofessional as well-- 30 kids, very low level.

I will actually be sharing this class with another teacher (she has them 1st period, I have them 7th period every day). I guess I'm confused about inclusion in general and specifically how I am going to make this work with the other teacher. How are we going to work it so that we're not repeating the same stuff over and over?

My other dilemma is this: should I make the curriculum for this inclusion class the same as my other classes, just at a slower pace with modified assignments and assessments? Or, should I do something entirely different for them? I'm not sure.. any advice from anyone who has taught in this situation would be SO helpful. Thank you.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2007

Will all 30 of the students in this class have IEPs? If it's anything like the class that I co-teach with a special ed teacher, the answer to that question is no. I plan my class (here it's called REI) just as I would any other "regular" class, but the sp. ed. teacher modifies the assignments that need to be modified. As for sharing the class with another teacher, I'm doing that for the first time this year. You will have to work together to plan that class so that you do not repeat what she did in the morning.