7th and 8th Grade Lang Arts Teachers

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by goodapple, Aug 12, 2008.

1. goodapple

goodapple Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Should have posted this here!

Would you tell me how a typical class period for you is run? I'm trying to figure out how to structure my classes and your input would be very helpful! :thanks:

3. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I'd like to know too. I'd like to know what books you assign them to read, and how much time you spend on poetry and writing and drama.

4. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I already posted in the other section but I will add some of the novels that all my students will be reading this year.

The House on Mango Street
    Watsons go to Birmingham - 1963
    A Year Down Yonder
    Maniac Magee
    Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village
    The Outsiders

I will also do a few literature circles where students have a choice - Lois Lowry, "growing up", and adventure are the 3 themes for my lit circles. I try to choose 5 books for them to choose from for each lit circle.

While I do focus on poetry for 4-5 weeks, I use poetry throughout the year! Poems are easy to use in mini-lessons because they can be read and "picked apart" quickly. I also encourage my students to write poetry in their writer's notebook even though I will not officially begin that unit until later in the year. I like to save it towards the end because I find students will be more open and honest in their writing as they feel more comfortable with me and the class.

I write every day...all year long! Either in their writer's notebooks or publishing a piece.

In 7th grade, I do not focus on drama. They have an exploratory class that covers it. I do, however, do a number of "dramatic activities" throughout the year, but I do not teach a drama unit.

Hope this is helpful...

5. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Aug 13, 2008

10 minutes - bell ringer
    10-15 minutes- mini lesson
    +/- 20 minutes work time
    last 10 minutes share/questions

During worktime I conference with students

I run reading workshop and writing workshop this way. On Fridays we concentrate on poetry; it's a nice way to end the week.

We will read The Giver and Tom Sawyer this year as a whole class. We will do lit. circles based on a yet to be determined genres. Students then pick out the books in that genre.

6. forchange

forchange Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I posted my schedule on the other thread. Here are the books we read as a class:

Bronx Masquerade (Summer Reading Assignment)
    145th Street
    The Last Book in the Universe (Science Fiction)
    The Outsiders (I'm adding this this year)
    Night
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

I'm flirting with the idea of adding another novel (I was thinking To Kill A Mockingbird or a non-fiction book with high interest like Nickle and Dimed), but am leaning away from that idea, since I want to do more with writing. I don't do *any* drama and I do very little poetry. I use poetry when I teach figurative language or when it can enhance the novel study (like if it's mentioned in the book or relates to one of the themes we're talking about). I also did a short poetry unit, with a public speaking element during testing this year (it seemed like a good time to do something more fun and a little less intense).

7. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I have been thinking of taking away one of the whole group novels (probably A Year Down Yonder) and adding another literature circle - Banned Books...what do you think?

8. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I love the idea. Several lit. response questions and mini-lessons popped into my head.

I would have a hard time doing the banned books because I live in very conservative district...maybe when I get more years under my belt :)

9. forchange

forchange Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

This is an awesome idea! If you go with this, there is a book of short stories written by banned authors that is edited by Judy Blume (I believe it's called Places I Never Meant to Be). It might be a good place to start (Blume and some of the others have essays about censorship included).

10. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Aug 14, 2008

Thanks for the book idea "forchange". I have not heard of it. I will ask my librarian to order it for me tomorrow!

11. goodapple

goodapple Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Thanks all! Great tips and schedules.