7th and 8th grade Art electives....

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by nasimi77, May 15, 2011.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 15, 2011

Hello Art teachers....

I was just recently hired as the K-8 Art Teacher at a different school within my district for next year! I am VERY excited! :) I have my bachelor's in Art Ed and this dream has been a looooong time coming! I have taught art a few times before in the past, but it was mostly K-5th. This new job I'm taking on is K-8th. I'd say I'm a bit nervous about 7th and 8th grade since I have not taught art to those grade levels before. I have been looking at the standards, and also talking to art teacher friends of mine. (including my dad who is a retired art educator). I have to come up with art electives for 7th and 8th grade for next year. I'm thinking about gong basic and doing drawing and painting, but I'm not sure. Was wondering if any of you had any ideas, suggestions, etc? Your input is always appreciated! I am excited to be joining this forum of Art teachers! :rolleyes:

3. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

May 21, 2011

Congratulations! 7-8 is a goofy age. haha can you only pick one subject for the elective? My school only goes up to 6th, but I know my 6th grade boys are never more focused then when they are doing sculptural projects. (I do a plaster project and a wood project with the 6th graders.)

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 21, 2011

Thank you. :) I decided to go with Drawing/Painting, Ceramics, and Fiber Structure/Recycled Art. K-6th I will cluster by grades so I'm not prepping for 9 subjects! From working with elementary students for the past few years as a gen ed teacher I agree about the sculptural process. Seems a lot of kids need that option for hands on, 3-dimensional work. I'm going to be meeting with our current art teacher to do some planning together for next year. Looking forward to it. I'm excited about this change, but also overwhelmed. :rolleyes:Thanks for your input NJ!:thumb:

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

You can play to their growing egos. If you gear projects towards self as a subject then you may get some more active students. That's not 100% though.

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 4, 2011

Thanks, Securis. Yeah..I did a long term sub job in a high school art room for about 3 weeks.....a few years back now. The teacher had them working on graffiti type illustration boards and they were working on writing their name in a stylistic way that represented themselves. They loved it. Our middle school art teacher last year also did something similar.

7. MrsTeacherLady

MrsTeacherLady New Member

Jul 25, 2011

7/8th grade art exploratory

I have taught 8th grade art for the past two years. This year I am being reassigned to 7th grade. I did have 9-10 kids at a time for 36 days but now will have them for a complete quarter of 45 days. The fact that they are a year younger will require a little tweaking on my part plus the added number of lesson plans. I have a special notebook where I jot down ideas and will use it to supplement what I had been doing. I do web searches and there are lots of good sites with ideas for lesson plans. Usually you just type in the subject and the grade level. It depends on what supplies you have available or your budget. I also have flexibility in how I approach it. For example, each teacher has pet projects they enjoy doing and other types of activities they do not like.

I am friends with the high school art teacher and I am glad I made the decision to do what I do instead. I chose not to teach high school art even though I love creating art. I just don't want to mess with a kiln or cutting glass and hear her comments about some of the challenges in doing these things in her classroom. I enjoy doing art at a younger level and getting to choose things I like to do. I see what the older and younger students are doing with other teachers and try not to repeat too much of what they do. They tell me that the other kids see our projects and like to copy us. I just keep it simple...several drawing exercises but not all kids like to draw. I let them paint and use a variety of materials and methods of many activities. I select themes and give a lesson and show the general idea but don't show too many examples because I want them to be creative.

By the time we are done, the kids are very proud of their work and want to keep their creations. I have them make a portfolio and we also put their work up on the wall or on a table to display in the art room that we share with the other grades. I also photograph their work for my website.