7th & 8th Grade Novels Any Genre

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by LoVe 2 TcH, May 16, 2008.

1. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

May 16, 2008

Hello,

I am moving up to teach 7th and 8th grade next year. I was wondering what novel other teachers read with their classes.

In 8th grade I want to do My Brother Sam is Dead. But have no idea about 7th grade.

Ideas would be appreciated... Thanks...

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 16, 2008

The Giver by Lois Lowry and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi were both on the syllabus when I student taught seventh grade. I highly recommend them both.

4. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 17, 2008

We used Crispin The Cross the Lead by Avi (to correspond to Medieval Europe SS unit) and House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (to correspond to Science unit when they discuss genetics).

5. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 17, 2008

The Giver
    Watsons Go to Birmingham
    Year Down Yonder
    Long Way From Chicago
    Animal Farm
    The Outsiders
    Missing May
    Belle Prater's Boy
    Island of the Blue Dolphins
    Julie of the Wolves
    Tuck Everlasting

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 17, 2008

My LA colleagues and I went in to school today to sort through all of our novels, so they are fresh on my mind. Here's what we use in 7th grade:
    Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
    The Giver by Lois Lowry
    Night by Elie Wiesel OR The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
    Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
    Call of the Wild by Jack London
    Huck Finn by Mark Twain (gifted/talented class)
    The Pearl by John Steibeck (gifted/talented class)

7. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 20, 2008

I have to second "Watsons Go to Birmingham". I did it last year and this year during state testing. If you can get the audio version to go along with the book, it's GREAT! It's read by LeVar Burton. I've done the book with 7th and 8th graders and they all loved it! I've read the book all the way through 5 times and it still makes me tear up!

8. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 22, 2008

They were going to make a movie based on the book but then I never heard anything else aobut it. I, too, LOVE the novel. ALL of my students love it. It is probably the one book that I never have to "force" students to read. It is also great to read during Black History Month or really part of any multicultural unit. It also lends itself to interdisciplinary lessons.

9. Librarian79

Librarian79 Rookie

May 22, 2008

Treasure Island
    The Princess Bride

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 13, 2008

In my 8th grade class, we read A Long Way to Chicago. Then I read Killing Mr. Griffin to them (I edited a few things on the run - reference to pot and some minor cussing). We continued with Touching Spirit Bear, Homecoming, and a Year Down Yonder.

11. LCFMOM

LCFMOM Rookie

Jun 17, 2008

At 7th grade - if you have students who are reluctant readers - I recommend Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is a Hugo Award winner and is fun, exciting, challenging, and has a fabulous sequel for those who like it so much that they don't want it to end. It is available audible. If you need lesson plans, work sheets, etc., just let me know. Holes (fiction) is very popular and has some good themes. Sword in the Stone is one of my favorites (fantasy.) If you have below grade level readers and they are studying World History (or Cultures), A Single Shard (Korea 14th Century) The Pearl (John Steinbeck - Mexico)

12. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

Here are a few that we did in grade 7 this year: Underground to Canada, Westing Game, Loch, Summer of Fear, Rats of Nihm (lower level read), Absolutely Invincible (one of my favorites - and the kids LOVED it), True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Holes.

There are lots more but I'd have to go back on my shelve to remember them all. I did some literature circles which is why there are so many on the list!

I also do Outsiders and Hatchet in grade 8 . . . tow more novels that students can't get enough of!

13. Georgia"Teach"

Georgia"Teach" Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

I teach 7th grade and found many books that my students loved. These two especially stick out in my mind:

Definitely Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings. My kids absolutely LOVED it. It examines "true" friendship, consequences, peer pressure, and the juvenile court system. There is excellent vocabulary and a suspenseful plot to go with it.

I also did literature circles with my students and was amazed to discover how many of them enjoyed Uglies by Scott Westefield. The series really goes in depth with the teen drive to be "attractive." Boys especially (yet surprisingly!) liked the book. I found this was a great way to get kids hooked on a new series.

Hope this helps!

14. AF Mom

AF Mom Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

We read The River, The Cay, Westing Game, Freak the Mighty, and Harris and Me. Sometimes we read Lois Duncan books, They Never Came Home, The Face on the Milk Carton, and That Was Then, This Is Now. I am reading Pretties right now and it is one of three books. Uglies and Specials are the other two. It is an interesting book and probably could be used for good group discussions.

15. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jun 26, 2008

Great ideas!!!:2up:

Do any of you have teaching units for these novels?

16. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

In my district, approved novels for 7th graders are The House of Dies Drear, The Cay, Call of the Wild, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Canyons, A Christmas Carol, The Clay Marble, Lily's Crossing, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, and Words by Heart. I am a newbie ang haven't read some of them yet, but I know a few of them are good.

Rising 7th graders also read (for summer reading) Esperanza Rising, Gathering Blue, Z for Zachariah, The Skin I'm In, And Now Miguel, City of Ember, and Breadwinner.

Rising 8th graders read The Planet of Junior Brown, Child of the Owl, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mercy on the Teenage Chimps, The Runner, The Red Badge of Courage, and That Was Then, This is Now.

17. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

Our 7th graders read So B. It by...the author's name escapes me right now...and they LOVE it. Excellent read!

18. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

The Giver and Watsons Go to Birmingham are both great books for 7th graders. I have also used The Clay Marble for 7th graders. With all three of these novels, you can be very creative in your lessons. The students always seem to enjoy these also.