79 Days and starting to panic..

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacherhoosier, Jan 24, 2011.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jan 24, 2011

Hi everyone,
    I'm a first year K teacher, and I'm starting to slightly panic..we have 79 days of school left, and I'm worried about getting to everything! I know that realistically that I won't be able to get to everything I want/need to...but the academic progress of my kids worries me..they came in low, and have made good progress, but I'm worried that it's not going to be enough..and I know that kids learn in their own time, but I don't have a base (ex. last year or other K classes taught) to go from..I have to be out tomorrow too....and Thursday a half day for training on running records (which should have been done in December, but is now just getting scheduled for me..grr..) and another grade level meeting sometime in Feb..it's crazy..I feel like I'm constantly out..and I've only been out a day and a half of my personal time...

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

That's just a part of teaching. I miss a handful of days due to professional development, meetings, etc.

If your students are learning and making growth, then you are doing good. Just keep moving them forward and through the goals of the year as best as you can.

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 25, 2011

It is usually around this time of the year that I begin to prioritize my goals and focus on those skills needed to meet those goals. My goals are usually our standardized testing skills and/or report card skills. I also have a dialog with our first grade teachers that helps me understand what their expectations are. I use my scores for the group as a whole to give emphasis to those skills that are lacking. It will all work out--always does.

5. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jan 26, 2011

Relax-- you will never "get to everything". ;) If the kids have made progress, you are doing your job.

I too spend the second half of the year trying to focus in on special needs, since by now I know what they are pretty well; and on learning awesome stuff about the world around them. I want them to love school and learning, not feel like they didn't get their work done.

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 27, 2011

If they came in low and you see progress, you are doing well!

7. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 27, 2011

It's all about improvement. If they are being pushed and growing its all you or anyone else can ask for. Talking to first grade teachers will definitely help you hone-in on what you need to focus on most.

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 30, 2011

Growth, growth, GROWTH! You are looking for growth and I'm SURE you're seeing it. Remember, benchmarks and standards are nice, but if you've seen growth and improvement, that is what you should celebrate! :)