75 hours a week is this normal?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by lifecomplicated, Oct 21, 2007.

1. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

After seven weeks of SDC core middle school teaching I am no where near reducing my time spent grading and creating lesson plans. Don't even get me started on paperwork. The office staff hate me for late paperwork and this is because I put theirs outside and focus on my special ed paperwork. I am on my third IEP and I am exhausted. I come to work early and leave last and even the building guy is starting to dislike me because he wants to leave but has to wait till 6 to close the gates. I hope it gets better and I am so glad I took this quarter off from my masters program if not I will go crazy.

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Oct 21, 2007

I hear you. I have been averaging 12 hour days since the week before school started. There are only a handful of days this year that I have left school before 6 pm. I am starting to reach my breaking point. I am not sure how much longer I can work like this.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 21, 2007

I lived and breathed my special ed. class my first year. I actually felt guilty for taking a break to go to a movie. I went away once for 2 days over a long weekend and I could not enjoy it. I went out maybe once a month and that was it. I was at work from 6:30 am until at least 6 pm and then I went home and worked for at least 2 more hours. I did less my second year and my third year was great. I could actually go home 2 days during the week and not do any work (I still brought my work bag home -- just in case :)).

I am in my fourth year of teaching a self-contained class and I still have a tinge of guilt when I don't do any work on a Saturday but I have learned to live with that guilt :D! I am in a new country, with different curriculum and expectations and find myself just doing a little bit more work than I did last year but not too much that I feel overwhelmed.

Remember developing your own curriculum takes a lot of time, but it will cut down on your planning/prep time next year.

5. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

My social life is my bed and that to me is sad. I come home and go straight to bed every day and weekends are sleep ins for me.

6. dstanley89

dstanley89 Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

I was on my way to feeling just like you! Another special education teacher at my school helped me create a system that works great for having curriculum organized. I got file crates and hanging file folders for every class that I teach (I work with the autistic population). Each class has a different color. I then have pocket folders that match the color for the class. On the pocket folders I write Monday Lesson, Tuesday Lesson, etc (one for each day); I do the same for homework. I have grade standards and decide on week what I will focus on i.e. verbs, sentence writing. I am able to spend a few hours searching for materials and ideas. When I make copies I place my worksheets and ideas in the folders for that day. I can often find multiple worksheets at different levels for the same content i.e. verbs. When I come to school all I have to do is pull out the folder for the day each period (I am in middle school) but it would work for elementary just as well. I give them homework every night and have material. It has been great! Often times I catch myself moving material to another day because we don't get through it all.

Hope this idea helps. Let me know if you want anymore clarification.

7. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

Thanks for replying and I will let you know if it works.