72 pencils????

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherGrl7, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

A tumbler is a tall drinking glass-- the kind that would fit a good part of a can of soda.

2. Iris

Iris New Member

Jun 10, 2007

pencil problems

At the end of my 1st year teaching gr. 3, after 9 years teaching 2nd. and the students let me know they'd prefer the fat pencils. I'm going to give it a try. Those shavings are a pain, and the sharpeners are a distraction to those kids who don't care to listen. How do you sharpen the fat ones?

Our school supplies a class set of pencils to each class each month. I trade them to any student for any pencil they have in their desk. Those stubby, chewed up pencils are the resource for those irresponsible students. I think I'll do away with the desk sharpeners, though. What a mess!

Who would think pencils could create such dialog? The decisions we teachers have to make! No wonder we're exhausted at the end of the day/year!

Happy summer, everyone!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  3. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

Pencils are so much cheaper before school starts. I think it makes more sense to ask ahead of time when the teacher knows they'll all get them (and if they're at home they'll be lost). If a teacher does community supplies that's the way to go.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 10, 2007

I have to say that my kids were horrible with pencils this year. I use to do community supplies to make sure we had enough to last us the entire school year, but had to change that with this years class. We were almost out by winter break and I had to request a new supply (we started the year with 36 pencils each or 864 altogether). How do 24 kids go through 800 pencils in three months? I too think they ate them.

Around January, I went to a new system because kids were biting them, ripping off the erasers, or sharpening both ends. It made me very angry. So now, I give out 2 pencils every three weeks or so. I write the students number on the end by the eraser. If the pencils are found on the floor, the students generally return them. Students are responsible for keeping them sharpened. They are only allowed to sharpen their pencils when I'm not teaching. I like this system because those students who are responsible and don't destroy their pencils don't have to use the nasty ones.

So far as other supplies, I don't give back the extra stuff. Maybe I should...I just never really thought about it. I carry the supplies over to the following school year and we use them. I only really have notebook paper, glue sticks, kleenex, and some baby wipes left. We tend to use up everything else.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 10, 2007

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 10, 2007

Oh, and I DETEST those personal sharpeners. They aren't allowed in my room. It never fails that they get dropped and make a mess everywhere. They also eat their pencils alive by using those.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2007

Yep 7th graders hate those giant kinder pencils, my class last year would bring little tiny nubs of pencils to avoid borrowing the big ones! I have even thought of hooking a large flower on the end of my borrow pencils, at least I would know who has one. I expect my students to bring their own, and I sell pencils to those that forgot them, ten cents a piece which is barely enough to buy a new box to sell.

However requiring 72 pencils seems a bit nuts to me.....I have 4 kids to get supplies for that would be 288 pencils, just for the kids and none for my classroom! YIKES

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2007

I bought an electric pencil sharpener that has three different sizes. Really fat, medium, and normal size pencil.

9. futureteacher24

futureteacher24 Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

Haha this thread reminded me of my school days. My mom made me write my first, middle and last name (23 characters in all) on EVERY pencil, pen and crayon I bought for school. I remember one day in third grade or something, a kid yelled, (insert my full name here), You dropped your Red crayon!

I guess her method worked, but it was NOT easy writing on those things!

10. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

You poor thing! Once in awhile someone comes in with every little item labeled. But the mothers do it for them. I find it incedible that any mother can find the time to do such a thing. I know I never could! :eek:

11. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

The is the first year for Prep (4 and a half year olds to 5 year olds) in Queensland, Australia and I do have community supplies. The parents are charged a levy to cover the cost of pencils, felt tips, twist up crayons, glue, glue sticks, scrap books, sticky tape, etc. I have to say it has worked very well this year. I ordered the stationery supplies and got the good quality pencils and crayons I wanted. All parents paid the levy and I did not have what happened last year, happen this year. That is a mixture of cheap pencils that break, have poor quality colour pigment and other pencils that were the recommended ones.

I specifically teach how to twist the crayons so that it is not long and they break it (although I can fix these ones). I teach them to listen for the 'click' with the felt tip pens so they don't dry out.

By the way, when I went to school in the UK (late 60s to early 70s) we did not have to supply anything at all. It was all supplied by the Education department which gave each teacher a budget per child. It is still that way as my sister in law is a teacher and laments at how difficult it is to get supplies for the amount the Education Department has budgeted.

12. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

I don't ask for pencils, I buy tons of boxes of golf pencils at the beginning of the year (they are cheap) and just use those.

That way the kids won't erase through papers!

Kelly :)

13. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2007

I'm a first year teacher this year and I just recieved a copy of the supply list so that I could know what my students were asked to bring... each child has to bring in 6 boxes of pencils... if each box contains 12, that's 72 pencils, but what if the parents buy a box of 24, then that's 144 pencils... geeze.... not looking forward to trying to store all of those somewhere. maybe i'll put them in a plastic container on top of my cabinets...

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 11, 2007

When I was in JHS and HS, several teachers would make you give them your shoe if you had to borrow a pencil or pen. No one ever stole their pencils! :)

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 11, 2007

I used to do that, but I was told to stop because it was embarrassing some of the students.

It worked perfectly, though.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

I also remember having to turn over a personal item in order to get a pencil for class. I think the rationale is sound: as a student, you know that you're going to need to have a pencil in class. Be responsible and be prepared.

During my final exams there were at least 3 students in every class who neglected to bring a pencil. Are you kidding me? Did you not know you were taking finals today?

I have a large box of sharpened pencils ready to go if a student needs one--each one for the low, low price of ten cents.

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 11, 2007

I know it sounds like a lot of pencils but I only had my students bring in 48 at the beginning of last year and ended up buying extra pencils before school was out. That was on top of using all of my "stash" that was left over from the year before. I asked mine the same question "Did they eat the pencils and erasers?". My 2nd graders last year just laughed and said ... "nope the pencil monster ate them" (they meant the pencil sharpener). Since they will be with me again when school starts in July then I am hopeful that they will go ahead and send in lots of extra pencils.

They have gone to a "county wide" supply list. It consists of the following:
    Rolling Book Bag
    1 16 count box of crayons
    1 3 ring notebook
    1 250 sheet packet of notebook paper
    No. 2 pencils
    3 pocket folders with prongs
    3 spiral-bound 80 page notebooks
    1 container of wet wipes
    1 box of pint size plastic bags (not sure why I used the gallon size last year)
    1 box of tissue
    1 pair of scissors
    2 glue sticks

This will mean that I will be buying paper, notebooks, crayons, and folders out of pocket (again this year) because they don't ask for an adequate supply to last for the entire year. I have found that when you ask for "replenishment" supplies they may or may not come in so I prefer to get all of the supplies at the beginning of the year and just store them in clear plastic tubs.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

MelissainGA, that doesn't sound like nearly enough stuff to make it through the year! Are you allowed to supplement the list at all, or are you stuck with that one?

19. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 11, 2007

Due to the new Director of Elementary Education (can we say "DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE") I am stuck with this list. Of course he hasn't said that we can't have a "wish tree" so I am going to try to get parents to supply extras of items that I am going to know I will need during the "meet the teacher" day. Last year they were really good about sending in "extras" that we needed so hopefully they will be this year also.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

I'm not trying to sound, I don't know...rude, but while I understand some posters have asked for 50, 60, 70 pencils at the beginning of the year and still had to supply more towards the end, I just think there is no call for that. I think keeping track of supplies and staying organized needs to be TAUGHT just like any other skill. I know that not every student will succeed, but the majority are highly capable of keeping up with a pencil.

On another note...actually requiring a rolling bookbag? What does everyone think of this?

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 11, 2007

I ask for 1 box of sharpened pencils. The kids get to keep 3 at their desks, and the rest become community property and stock our centers. If someone doesn't have a pencil, they are welcome to borrow one from the writing center.

My first year I tried the "you are responsible for your own things" way. In the lower grades, there are just some kids who never have their supplies. No matter what you do. So we ended up wasting a lot of time because of these couple of kids.

I want them to be responsible, but I don't think it is fair to the rest of the class to lose their learning time because a couple kids can't keep track of their supplies. So they are allowed to solve their own problem by borrowing from a friend or from the writing center. Pencils and crayons, etc., left on the floor at the end of the day become community supplies and go to the writing center. If I made them write with a little pencil, or a crayon, everyone would suddenly "lose" all of their pencils because in first grade it is much more interesting to write with something, anything, other than a pencil!!!!!!!!!

If she is asking for 72 pencils, give her the pencils. And God bless her.

22. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 11, 2007

On the rolling bookbag issue I think he "required" that due to the fact that there were parents complaining that the kids books were too heavy so to quiet those parents he required rolling book bags for 3rd and up.

On the other issue I agree with bonneb. I want my students to be responsible, however, it isn't fair to the 19 that are if we have to spend 4 or 5 minutes every time we start to change activities while the other 2 that aren't responsible enough to keep up with supplies have to find something. We have way too much material to cover to be able to give up that much time every time we change activities. I would much prefer to just have the "extra" materials available and be able to just hand them to the kid or two that need them.

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 11, 2007

OK, here is one for you. The teacher I replaced asked for 8 (eight) boxes of 24 count crayons per student. I can't imagine keeping up with them. I changed it to 4, but still think that this might be to much. And yes, she did ask for markers (two boxes of ten), paint (two containers of ten colors), and colored pencils.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

Maybe because I grew up literally below the poverty level, but I would never ask for what some teachers do. :(

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

Officially in Arizona we can not ask for any student too bring in any required supplies. They push the "free education" to the max, we now suggest what a student needs.

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

Students in my school replace the lead with a needle so they have almost been outlawed

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

In my school we have an early out program If a child has all their supplies (pencil), Homework done, and is on time, they get a stamp on there agenda (assignment book) if they have all their stamps from all their classes they get to leave one period early (it is the real dismissal time) the ones without all their stamps have to stay, "Full day" tutoring, management skills, etc, are taught during the "extra" period

Kids do not want to stay so they "work" hard to have a pencil

28. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I require my students to bring in some items to stock-up the room so that if they ever need to use mine (which they all do at some point) they have somewhere to pull some without having to ask. I encourage students to keep their own supplies in a pencil pouch too to make sure they can keep their own things in good shape and not have to share. I require the following items:

24 pencils
    12 black/blue pens
    4 boxes of tissues
    200 index cards
    2 packs of loose leaf paper

I am aware all students can't afford the supplies, and I make accommodations for those students. For the most part though, they don't have a problem, and the parents don't complain! :)

29. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 11, 2007

I have an extreme distaste for pencil sharpening in general. It is so stinking annoying! The kids can't seem to figure out that the sharpener will keep eating the pencil if you keep shoving it in, and the hand held ones are even worse. It's inevitable...one always spills and the janitor gets mad.

Those of you with higher quality electric sharpeners, where did you get yours? What kind is it, and how much did you spend?

Thanks!

30. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 11, 2007

Boston School Pro I just bought one of my own after 3 years of the same one (school budget was "exhausted" and we had 4 weeks of school when mine died) and I got it at Office Depot for 39.95. I love it and hopefully it will last as long as the last one they bought did. I am still going to hope that they will "replace" the one that died.

31. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

Maybe she knows something about supplying art class with individual supplies or that only half the kids actually bring in supplies.

Though, I must say the request sounds pretty reasonable if they are also used for art projects or large diorama projects throughout the year.

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2007

In middle school we use IDs for our lunch count if a student forgets their ID they have to go to the back of the lunch line. Well, I require the student's ID to borrow from me. No kid wants to be at the end of the line :D

33. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

After 30 years of bad electric pencil sharpeners, I finally found "the one." Yipee!! I got it at Stapes for about $40. It's an Exacto and I don't remember the exact model name but it says something like "school quality" on the box. I sharpen about 2 dozen pencils every other day or so. It takes me no more than 5 minutes. The kids are allowed to use it sparingly. It's worked out well so far.

34. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 12, 2007

I had a parent donate a high quality electric pencil sharpener, it was meant for high use, and it worked great. Until somebody stuck a colored pencil in it. I have no proof, but I'm sure that's what must have happened, because it managed to die in 2 weeks shortly after an art project!! I was soooo mad! I have lectured my kids about colored pencils in the electric sharpener multiple times! The only place handheld sharpeners are allowed in my room is on the desk right next to the electric one, and they are there for that exact purpose! I have my suspicions of who did it also. I was livid!

35. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

I'm still in AZ right now and its RIDICULOUS that you can't require basic supplies. At my kids school, they created a maximum cost, the classroom supply list cost cannot exceed $15 per child including agenda at maximum suggested retail price (agenda costs $7) :confused: .

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2007

I don't know how your school can do it, because WE were told that due to the AG's legal opinion we can not require students to bring their own supplies!
    Yes it is RIDICULOUS in two ways one that we do not have the money in district to buy the supplies and two why not ask students to supply their own "stuff".

37. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 12, 2007

Thank you for the pencil sharpener suggestions! I'm glad that they're only about $40. :) There is a new Office Depot opening near my house soon, and I have a coupon for $20 off a purchase of $40 or more. Looks like I know what I'll be buying!! :)

38. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jun 12, 2007

I give my students a new pencil on the first day of each month. A few will lose it by the next day. And when I ask them why they didn't bring one to school, they just shrug. How I hate that shrug!

I like the crayon idea and the little golf pencils. Maybe I will try that next year.

As for pencil sharpeners, I have the Exacto one mentioned. It was recommended by an art teacher because it can handle colored pencils. I've had mine 2 years and will need to replace it before school starts again. But I let my students use it. Next time I will buy it from Staples and get the warranty so when it wears out they will replace it.

I allowed hand held sharpeners this year, but they had to have a cap that caught the shavings. By now, they have all been lost so it is a huge mess. Have to rethink that for next year.

39. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

Who knew that pencil sharpeners could be such an invigorating topic for discussion!

I have an electric sharpener from Wal-Mart. It looked sturdy enough, but it really wasn't. It made this god-awful whining sound whenever you'd put a pencil in, and it would only sharpen the pencil if the pencil wasn't positioned too far in or too far out.

I'm definitely going to look into getting a better model for next year.

40. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

OOOOOH I agree about the hand held sharpeners. I bought a class set at staples when they were .01 each last year. By the end of the year, one student still had theirs. They were sooo messy, and kids dropped them alll the time.

I think I am going to buy that 40.00 one, and make pencil sharpening a job. I keep the community pencil cups on my desk (one for sharpened, and the other for unsharpened), and hopefully that will help with the disappearing pencils!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.