6th vs. 7th?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by sonflawah, Jul 15, 2011.

1. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Jul 15, 2011

I've taught 6th grade multiple subjects, and this year I'll be teaching 7th grade science at a new school. I know every class is different, but do the students tend to be very similar in behavior among these two grade levels? I haven't worked with 7th graders yet outside of substitute teaching.

3. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 15, 2011

No, they are not the same. Actually I taught 6th and 7th grade one year then the next I was just 7th grade. I ended up having all my 6th graders for 7th grade too. The joke was on them! LOL They didn't expect me to move to 7th grade too! Heck, I didn't either! I got the call 2 weeks before school started! Any how, it was a good experience for me to learn that students do mature a lot in just a short summer. They were a lot more mature than in 6th grade and I also stressed at the beginning of the year how they were in 7th grade now and they had to show the new 6th graders how to act in middle school, needed to be mentors, etc. Its actually a good position because they aren't the under classman anymore nor are they the top dog. I think it is easier to keep them in check with that idea looming over their heads.

Congrats on the new position!! :thumb:

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2011

Seventh grade is where the dating world seems to explode (sometimes early, sometimes not until winter break). The students also begin to think of others outside of themselves and form those relationships that last for life.

The rule of two seems to disappear (students can actually be friends in groups of three).

5. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 15, 2011

I truly believe seventh graders lose their ever-lovin' minds. They go crazy-stupid that year. It think it's because of hormones and trying to create their own identity and old friendships dissolving and new ones forming. They go crazy. But I love them.

I've actually told parents the above when they express exasperation about their previously normal child. I've had kids in the 6th, 7th and 8th and they are so sweet their 6th grade year, crazy their 7th grade year and seem to settle a bit their 8th grade year.

One of the coaches told me last year that they lose their minds again in the 10th grade.

6. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 15, 2011

Well Said!!:yeahthat::)

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2011

I love 7th graders! They are a mess, but I love them.

I don't like 6th graders. They are goo needy for me, and too much like little kids. They aren't usually ready to branch out just yet. It's funny that the very things that make 7th graders such a handful are the things that are missing in 6th graders and make me not like them. Go figure.

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 15, 2011

:lol: I like that! I only taught the 6th in the MS, but got to see the 7th (and 8th) on a daily basis. It seems like a huge difference. I even noticed my 6th graders the last couple months starting to go over the edge and turn into 7th graders. :p

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2011

I have noticed some things over time, though I only teach fourth. Seventh graders branch out a lot and go through some major changes. They tend to try new ways of self-expression (goth, dyeing their hair, wearing more makeup) compared to sixth grade. They are more mature than sixth-graders but are turning into teenagers as well, so they are questioning themselves often. They are quite self-conscious and are concerned with weight/height/etc. They try to act a lot older than they are- and some look way older than they are as well.

Of course, we were all there once in our lives. Seventh grade was probably my least memorable year of school, though... I don't remember much of it. (I remember eighth the most out of the three middle school years.)

What I do remember from the lovely school year of 1994-1995: I remember being made fun of tremendously in seventh grade. You will encounter students who are emotionally hurt on a daily basis... I think my seventh grade bullying was more severe than my sixth. Some teachers were not that supportive of the fact I was bullied. I was self-conscious in gym class. I also remember growing up that year academically because I was out for a few days and a project was posted on the board. I ignored it (because prior to then everything was kind of "spoon-fed") and failed the project (thank goodness it was the only project I ever failed, but it was a massive wake-up call).

On the other hand...

Sixth graders, at the beginning especially, still question how they are going to get to seven classes in one day. They are in a "silly shock" that they do not have to walk in lines like they had to in fifth grade. In that respect, I believe they test the waters a bit. I remember my mom helping me to get organized as best as possible with an accordian folder, though I still struggled. It is a huge change to go from a fifth-grade desk to handling multiple classes.

I think with both grades, you have to watch out for cell phones/texting attempts as well. Also, kids LOVE passing notes at this age (I certainly did in middle school, and I doubt that has changed). I think it gets worse in that sense from 6th-8th grade.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

7th grade: Bullying, girl wars, PMS, FEELINGS (as opposed to the feelings at any other age), social lives expand, sports suddenly get way more competitive, general laziness, hormones, hormones, hormones...

6th grade: Still very, very much elementary.

I love 7th graders. They're a wacky, weird bunch - but it's a very tough time for them.

11. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

What I noticed this past year, more than any other year (teaching both 6th and 7th grade for the past couple of years) was that the 6th graders seemed incredibly immature. Their behavior was on par with many 3rd grade classes that I have seen - on the playground. My seventh graders changed so much from how they were as 6th graders. MUCH less squirrely, but also more distracted and self-centered. Everyone has hit on it -- they start discovering relationships, they start changing, and school is one of the last things on their minds, even when they are there.

But the group that I had as 7th graders this past year I felt really connected to. They were a lot of fun, and I loved most of the days that we were together.

12. Charger

Charger Companion

Jul 29, 2011