6th Reading question

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by bigcat, Aug 2, 2007.

1. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

okay...sorry..good morning. I taught Reading to 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades last year...as a suppliment. This year I have 6th LA and am wondering what you all do in your reading classes with 6th graders. Do you choral read? Do you silent read? Do you mainly work on skills? Please give me some insight to reading with 6th graders. I will add this.....due to the size of my school....I only have 55 min to do Reading, English and Vocabulary.

Thank you for your help with this. :thanks:

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

My readers were leveled. The high group read silently and worked on skills a lot. The mixed ability group did oral reading, partner reading or whole class. We had a basal and sometimes we'd listen to the CD that came with the series. We also added grammar, spelling and novels.

4. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I'm in the same boat only it's 55 minutes/day for all Language Arts instruction, including writing and grammar. Find out what language arts "pieces" are taken up with your cohorts and what's in your curriculum. I know our standards demand teaching of elements of literature, poetry and traditional literature. We work mainly as a whole group regarding specific teaching of skills and most units, but also do book shares based on individual reading choices. Our year ends with a poetry unit wherein students read a lot of poetry and compile their own poetry book.

5. WordNut

WordNut Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I'm a new 6th grade teacher this year (after two years of teaching K-2). The minute I found out I was teaching 6th, I read Nancie Atwells In the Middle and The Reading Zone. My brain almost couldn't handle all the information. I agreed so heartily with all she had to say, that I've planned my year and classroom around reading and writing workshops. Organization is key, but my love of reading and enthusiasm for what I'm doing will help carry the day (I hope!).

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

Welcome to A to Z, WordNut!