6th grader and his mom issue

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BioAngel, Sep 20, 2011.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 20, 2011

To sum it up:
    A student decides to not listen to directions while I have told all of them do not put pictures of yourself on your project. A child puts pictures of himself all over his project. I asked the child to take all the pictures off. (This project was done online and the work is open to the public)

Now the Mom is upset that the child might do poorly on the project. Child usually fools around for me but thinks that Mom will take care of the issues. What to do? What to do?

[Side note: I also had to explain to this child that he should not write that "girls" are an interest on his Moodle profile. He didn't get it until I told him "Well some girls might find that to be very insulting-- we are not an "interest" we are human beings".]

Really trying hard to have patience with this student (its my second year with him) but really-- 2 weeks of school and I want to be done with him. :rolleyes:

3. msufan

msufan Comrade

Sep 20, 2011

I would not grade him down for his initial failure to follow directions, easing mom's concerns.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 20, 2011

Helicopter mom alert......

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 21, 2011

Does the project have written instructions and a rubric? If the written instructions clearly stated that no pictures of the student should be included and my rubric included a grade for following directions or something like "all required elements included", I would take points off the project. And then I would make sure mom had a copy of the directions and the rubric.

IMHO, I think you should stand firm on a lower the grade regardless of if the directions were written and a rubric included.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 21, 2011

If the rubric explicitly said no personal pics I would grade down. If the directions were orally given, I would not grade down. Hope this helps!

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 21, 2011

No rubric-- some written instructions (given on the Smartboard) but the learning goals were listed on Moodle which he could have accessed.

However, I did repeat myself a few times about this in class (quieting down the class to hear myself) and this is the second year he's had me (I *NEVER* let students post pictures or full names on their work- just not safe).

I let the Mom walk all over me last year for her older son so I think Mom thinks she can continue with this son.

We did talk together-- him and his group with me-- and it was decided the best solution would be to come down during recess and lunch tomorrow (with their lunches) and redo the online poster (glog if those who know what it is).

I did email Mom back this morning (very pleasant) and I told her I would talk to the group about coming up with a solution but there has to be some consequence for not listening to directions. (I don't care if it is written down or verbal) The consequence is to miss recess-- which for this boy is a HUGE deal.

I have to be careful though-- this family has 6 kids and all have gone through my school (we have one more who will be starting in next year? year after that... something like that. I taught the oldest son, second oldest son, and middle daughter last year. This year I'm teaching the second oldest son and middle daughter). As a private school we want to make this family happy, but yes I wonder if Mom is going to become a helicopter Mom. Dad is awesome, very laid back thankfully.