6th grade?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by dalleyteaches, Jun 10, 2016.

1. dalleyteaches

dalleyteaches Rookie

Jun 10, 2016

I was just recently hired to teach 6th grade (woo!):grin: and I wanted to hear from other sixth grade teachers about classroom management. What worked well and what didn't? Thanks!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 10, 2016

Is it 6th grade self-contained, or will you be departmentalized?

4. dalleyteaches

dalleyteaches Rookie

Jun 10, 2016

Hi agdamity! It is a 6th grade self-contained class. :)

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 10, 2016

I am not a fan of clip charts, so I do not use one. After a warning, I simply assign a consequence. Students can earn positive rewards. They get to choose things like lunch with teacher, sit by a friend for the day, comfy chair day, 15 minutes free computer time, etc.

dalleyteaches likes this.
  6. dalleyteaches

dalleyteaches Rookie

Jun 10, 2016

I don't like clip charts either. :persevere: Thanks for your ideas! :)

7. DawnR

DawnR Rookie

Jun 11, 2016

I wanted to chime in here. I have been recently hired to do a 6th grade as well. I am ecstatic, but SCARED TO DEATH at the same time. haha. I can not see doing a clip chart for higher grade levels.. middle school and up. But what do I know? I do have a 12 year old daughter who just got out of 6th grade, and I know that she would probably feel like she was being treated like a baby.

I want to do something like PUNCH cards... Like business cards that you punch for various reasons... I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM GOING HERE.... but they could earn free, or almost free things for good behavior, engagement, effort... like homework passes, points for tests... etc.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 11, 2016

Punch cards would work, but u would suggest you get a special shapes hole punch or two to avoid some students punching their own cards. Sixth graders are smart enough to figure that out.

DawnR, dalleyteaches and nstructor like this.
  9. Lotus214

Lotus214 Guest

Jun 12, 2016

I just finished my first year in 6th grade. While we are departmentalized (I teach ELA) I used a pretty effective classroom management system. Each of my classes group tables had a plastic jar in the middle of their table. I filled the jar periodically throughout the period with little marbles as they were doing something noteworthy. I ALWAYS shouted them out "Thank you table one for having your homework assignment pad and a pencil out" This prompted the rest of the class to do the right thing to get their marbles and prizes.

I used rubber bands around the jars to mark different behavioral recognition/prizes. . Each band represented a prize (free homework pass, lunch with the teacher, free time, etc.) Use your discretion as to what you can handle in terms of prizes.

The first table to fill up their entire jar for that month received extra recess time (as per the assistant principal) Every month we started all over giving each table a chance to redeem themselves.

While it seems like a lot of work, it was SO WORTH IT! my classroom routines and the respect among students just got stronger and stronger each day. By the last instructional day of school my kids were going through the motions without any type of prompting from me. My observation reflected the strong routines and the behavior of my classes. Just a suggestion, I am most definitely using this system next year with my new group.

10. dalleyteaches

dalleyteaches Rookie

Jun 13, 2016

DawnR- Congrats! Haha I am feeling the same way! I do like the punch card idea as well and I agree with agdamity that it would be a good idea to use different shapes when punching the cards.

Lotus214- That is so creative! I really like that. :)

11. dalleyteaches

dalleyteaches Rookie

Jun 13, 2016

Is Classroom Dojo too "young" for sixth grade?

12. DawnR

DawnR Rookie

Jun 20, 2016

I am sorry to be bumping this post to the top, I have been so busy getting ready for my NEW FIRST YEAR!!!!!! I do not get to check in here very often! :) Please be patient with me. Thank you all for your advice. Keep the tips coming.

I also was wondering if Class Dojo is too young for 6th?

13. dalleyteaches

dalleyteaches Rookie

Jun 20, 2016

DawnR, I have been getting ready too! I have definitely been hitting up the target dollar spot for all of those sweet deals.

I feel like it could work, but I'm just not sure? I used it during my student teaching in fourth grade and it helped boost participation and I feel like kids were more accountable but I'm
    not sure how well sixth grade would work. If any sixth grade teachers have used it I would love to hear about it!

14. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Class Dojo is way too young for 6th grade

nstructor likes this.
  15. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 8, 2016

I think it'll depend on your kids. Sixth grade is a weird age - some think they're 18 and will try to act like it, some are still very immature. We're departmentalized so I had four different groups. Two of them *loved* Class Dojo. We tied it into a monthly Treat Trolley and they could cash in their Dojo points for pencils, gel pens, small bags of chips, etc.