6th grade Social Studies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nstructor, Aug 21, 2012.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 21, 2012

This will be my first year teaching SS-I've been an English/Language Arts teacher for years. Any suggestions? Thank you!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

Get a copy of your standards and any teachers guides/resources that are used in your dstrict...map out a rough outline of your year...

Good luck and congrats on your new job!:thumb:

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 21, 2012

:yeahthat: Find your learning outcomes and then start organizing your units. You'll find you can integrate a lot of ELA into social studies!

5. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 22, 2012

I have the standards, materials, etc. . just wanted suggestions of how you make 6th grade SS interesting and how you teach it using the text.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2012

What's your basic curriculum? I'm new to SS also but have experience in other content areas. We do a unit on economics and then study world geography.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 22, 2012

What are the topics you are going to be covering? Social Studies is pretty broad, so you will probably get more advice if we have some specifics.

8. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 23, 2012

The curriculum consists mostly of the various early civilizations.

9. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 23, 2012

I'm teaching 6th/7th grade World History too, thats mostly early civilizations. I used to teach 4th grade, mostly LAL, so we are kinda in the same boat :)

We should exchange emails and help each other out and share resources as the year goes on? What state are you teaching in?

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 23, 2012

6th grade Social Studies is so much fun! I taught 6th grade "Core" last year (LA/SS Core).

We focused primarily on Ancient Civilizations and did a lot of research projects and art projects that correlated with the units.

11. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 25, 2012

Can you be more specific?

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

I would plan some time to teach note taking with the students. They need this skill for the rest of their lives!

I would also teach the basics of research and writing a research paper. So important for every year from here on out!

I know that those aren't much fun, but they are important.

I would definitely look into RAFT (if you aren't already familiar). It works get for SS. Foldables are great too! Especially for organizing materials from the text or other sources.

In our first chapter, we talked about Mesopotamia. My students enjoyed choosing a place to build a settlement and then defending why their choice was the best option. They also really enjoyed learning about cavemen/and the iceman.

Egypt was great! They loved a little mythology (we really hit this with Greece/Rome). They really enjoyed the pyramids (you could even have them build their own). One year we mummified a chicken (kind of gross, but they students loved it!). They loved making Egyptian masks. We use the pyramid foldable during this unit as well.

If you haven't fallen in love with Rick Riordan, check him out! He has a great few series on different mythology. He has The Kane Chronicles on Egypt, Percy Jackson on Greece, and one that he is still working on that mixes Greek and Roman gods. The students love them!