6th grade science

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by njeledteacher, May 31, 2011.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

May 31, 2011

Hello. Can anyone recommend a 40 min science lesson for a demo lesson I have to do Friday? I am a special ed teacher interviewing for a special ed job but must teach the whole class a science lesson. I am interested in a hanfds on lesson but not too involved since there may be sped students in the class. I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 31, 2011

Do you have any idea what they are studying? My favorite science lesson is about types of faults, using graham crackers and frosting.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2011

Begin by choosing a type of science or area of science that you want to teach or that the students are currently learning.

5. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

I just found out it is a sped class of 6 students and they are currently learning density. Thanks for any ideas!

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 13, 2011

Clay boats is a popular activity for density. Sometimes, I've used aluminum foil instead of the clay. Each group of 2,3, or 4 (your choice) get a ball of clay a water basin and a cup of pennies (100 should be more than enough). They try to build a boat that can hold the most pennies without sinking. Then after they try for 5 minutes, teach them about a special trick that causes things to sink and not sink--density. Teach them about density and then have them re-design their boats and try again. The students love this activity and you can also add a lot more learning if you desire--especially for 6th graders.

7. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 13, 2011

I would do one of the experiments shown on Home Science Tools, liquid density projects. (I don't think I can post links yet, but here's a partial url, just remove the extra spaces: www. hometrainingtools.com /liquid-density-project/a /1305/)

I would also use 3 objects of the same size (volume) but with different weights (mass) to introduce or review density. For example, you could use a cork ball, a bouncy ball, and a marble. These objects could then be used in the liquids to predict what happens.

Whatever you choose, have fun!