6th grade reading

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by nire, Sep 19, 2006.

1. nire

nire New Member

Sep 19, 2006

I've been teaching 6th grade reading (plus language arts to my homeroom kids) for the last month. This is my first 6th grade position. I jumped up from 1st grade last year and before that taught combo classe of 2/3 and 3/4.

I'm enjoying the sixth graders a lot, but am not sure how to structure my classes. I have the kids for 45 minutes and we're using the Houghton Mifflin reading program. Unfortunately, I find it quite dry and only covering basic skills. It doesn't, by any means, instill a love of reading in these kids. So far we've been reading the basal story a day or two out of the week and the rest of the week I have them read short stories, poetry, their independent reading books (which they bring to all classes), and also read aloud to them (when I model strategies). I've read Fountas and Pinell's book for grades 3-6 and love their methods of teaching. However, when I have four different reading classes each day at only 45 minutes each, it's hard to do the Reading Workshop format.

Basically, I just need ideas and to see what other people do in their intermediate level classrooms. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

3. madwoods

madwoods Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

Look in the FP Guided Reading book for a short class period layout. I used this when I taught in a school with short time periods...it wasn't easy but those HM books are pretty dull by themselves! Good luck. :angel:

4. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Oct 24, 2006

Reading is one of my favorite subjects to teach! Can you move away from the boring stories and do a novel. For 6th graders, I suggest Tom Sawyer, Number the Stars, or The Westing Game. Let me know if you need more information on the novel ideas!

5. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Oct 24, 2006

I teach using novels too. I prepare all the assignments for a novel (Novel-Ties from Learning Links are my very good friend!) and put them into a booklet. Each assignment has a reading portion, some vocabulary words and then some questions. I try to cover all of Bloom's taxonomy over the course of the book, as well as one or two literary things (ie foreshadowing, flashback, character analyzation). Then I give one to each student. I put due dates for each assignment on the board. This allows me a lot of flexibility. I can just collect & grade the written assignment, I can have a whole class or small group discussion or do pair work. I've also been known to just have them read the book and then do one large project at the end. We average a novel a month.
    I second HannahB2's book suggestions. I would also suggest Hatchet, The Cay, The Pushcart War (the class favourite almost every year!), The Bronze Bow and Caddie Woodlawn.
    Maybe there is a way you can do novels in addition to your HM readers?

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 25, 2006

My favorite novel for this age group is The Giver by Lois Lowry. It's a wonderful coming of age story about a boy that is turning 12 years old...but there are so many other points of discussion in this book about a community with no choices...wonderful story!!!