6th grade possibly??!!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MrsB2B, Jul 13, 2007.

1. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I had an interview today for a 6th grade position and they offered me the job. Problem is, all of my experience has been in 3rd and 4th grades. I am a first year teacher and wondered if anyone has any advice or suggestions. I have until next week to let them know if I will accept or not. Thanks!!!

3. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Take it!!! 6th graders are just little kids in bigger (and stinkier) bodies. Seriously, unless you are SURE you will land a job in 3rd or 4th - go for it. Almost anything you would do with 3rd and 4th graders you could do with 6th graders. Is it 6th grade in an elementary or junior high/middle school setting? Not that it makes a difference, but if it's still elementary, you can get away with a little more "elementary" type things (although I give my 6th grade middle schoolers stickers and "happy grams" and they LOVE it.) Good luck.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2007

I did some of my intern work in 6th grade and loved it! The only drawback to me is that at many schools around here 6th grade is middle school and the teachers are completely departmentalized. I personally don't like teaching the same subject all day.

Good luck!

5. Georgia"Teach"

Georgia"Teach" Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I was in a similar position when I took my job. I only had substantial experience with 12th grade, but I was offered a 7th grade position! Talk about a jump!! But, I am confident that it will be a lot of fun. Plus, since I am so young, it will probably be good for me to actually appear older than my students. Haha.

If you like the position, by all means take it! If nothing else, it will be a great learning experience and a good place to get your foot in the door.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

You say you're a first year teacher. Then, honestly, you don't have enough experience to make a whole lot of difference. Call them today and gracioiusly accept. Get all the info you can, then start asking questions here. We'll have you all set in no time at all :)

7. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Thank you for all of the wonderful tips and advice. It will be a middle school setting. I would be responsible for language arts and social studies...and guaranteed an hour and a half planning period, unlike elementary school where you never know if you can go to the bathroom!!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Call now. Right now. Before someone else calls and takes it.

go ahead.

I'm waiting.

Welll?????

9. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

ok guys...i talked to the principal and will let her know by Tuesday. I need time to let it marinate. Thanks for everything!

10. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 13, 2007

I jumped to sixth grade after 15 years in the lower grades - most in first grade. I was apprehensive at first, but accepted the position. I have been there now for 20 years and would not go back to the little kids for anything.

11. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

Take it!! I LOVE 6th grade!!! I did several long term sub. jobs in various grades K-4 then taught 6th for one year. I just was hired at another district in 6th again and am SOOO happy! I was able to develop a great relationship with the students which really decreased behavior problems.

Good luck with your decision!

12. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

ok...i have decided to accept. I am calling her tomorrow. I have that gut feeling it is where I am supposed to be! Thanks for the help everyone!!!

13. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 15, 2007

Good for you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

14. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Congrats!! Great decision! I'm sure you will LOVE 6th grade!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

Congrats!!!!

Let me know if I can help in math at all :)

16. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Congratulations on your first job! I'm in the same position! I did my student teaching in a self-contained 4th grade class, and I just accepted a job as a 6th grade language arts teacher. It is a K-8 school and I could use some tips...classroom decor, themes, classroom jobs etc!!
    Thanks!

17. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

Congrats on your job offer. I say take it!! I work with sixth graders and love it!! They are still so sweet...and its amazing to see how much they grow from the beginning of the year until the end.

18. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

6th grade is a wonderful place to be. I love it. Congrats!

19. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Thanks! Any tips on organizing 3 different classes (all 6th gr writing)...I only have experience in a self-contained classrooms....Any help would be appreciated :)

20. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I would try color coding...that's what I do...I even have the homework printed on color paper. Works really good....choose colors that they can match binders and folders with

21. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I want to have an Effort Chart.....Since I'll have my homeroom for 3 classes per day and the other classes only once, would I include the them in the effort points system? Obviously, my class would have a lot more because they will be passing more work to me.
    What do you think? I'm going to do the color coding. I need to get into my classroom to see what I have and to meet the teachers on my team so I can start figuring this out!! A self-contained classroom seems so much easier!!! :)