6th grade position

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kstar03, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Hi everyone,

I have an interview Thursday for a 6th grade Language Arts position but I did my student teaching at the high school level. What sort of things do you teach at the 6th grade level and what are so literature you read. Any info or advice would be awesome:help:

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2008

Hi KSeed,
    I don't teach 6th but did some work with sixth while getting my master's. This was in the northeast as well, New Hampshire actually. We did literature circles where kids were reading books that interested them, book group type things and kids kept reader response journals. We also did a fair amt. of independent reading at their own levels. We read great books like Hatchet, Pinballs to name a few. As for writing, we did the workshop approach and the kids had writers' notebooks where they wrote seed pieces and then would choose a piece to take through the writing process. Hope that helps. Also, check out your states frameworks or standards and glance over them so that you feel prepared for the interview! :) *Fingers are crossed for you*

4. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Thanks Trayums! That was very helpful :hugs:

5. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Last year was my first year teaching, Language Arts in NH. We did a lot of reading and writing. The book we focused on is The City of Ember. It was a great book and the kids enjoyed it. Through the book I was able to focus on all aspects of grammar (punctuation, parts of speech, ...), reading comp, writing stories, letters and so much more. I have lots of information and lots of writing prompts. If you have any questions or anything let me know. I have access to lots of materials.

6. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

I too am teaching grade 6 in Canada, and have made it through 3 teaching rounds without teaching Language. I love writing and reading, spelling and poetry, and novel studies include Hatchet, Island of the Blue Dolphins, the Breadwinner, and The Giver.

Is there any websites that really explain, the writer's workshop, and language lessons in general.

Mr. Skinner :D