6th grade open court questions

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Teacheroo, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I will be teaching in a 6th grade self-contained classroom this year and I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing. I taught a 5/6 combo last year and never had enough time to do everything. Now I'm looking at all this time I have to fill and don't know what to do with it all. :eek:

I'm wondering if anyone could help me by telling me what you do on each of the days (how do you lay out your week?) and how you mix it up to keep it interesting. What kind of shared reading do you do? Do you listen to the cd or read as a whole class? I'm also looking for some interesting activities/projects to integrate into it.

Also, I think that we are going with Step up to Writing this year instead of the OC writing program, so that doesn't need to be included in the reading/language arts time.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

3. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 13, 2007

anyone? :)

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Is Open Court a basal reader? Not familiar - but I taught LA last year and I'll try to be helpful.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

6. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks!

7. sloatteacher

sloatteacher New Member

Aug 6, 2007

Hi! I teach Open Court as well and agree that there is a need to integrate some fun activities to keep the students interested. During the volcano story, on the first day we built volcanoes (one for each group of 6) and then on Friday we watched them erupt. You can find the recipe for eruption online, or I can post it later. The students LOVED it. For the story on the Rosetta Stone, I had the students make their own cartouches. I tried to integrate an activity (the cartouches you could incorporate into a workshop activity as well) each week to keep interest at a high. I do listen to the CD one of the days. It gives the kids a break from listening to my voice without the pressure of reading themselves, and it allows one more reading of the stories. Also, listening to the CD is so much faster so I usually save it for a day that I have prep. Hope that helps!

8. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Aug 7, 2007

great ideas! I'll definitely use those, since that Ancient Civ. unit gets realllly long.