6th Grade Math

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CatfaceMeowmers, Jul 17, 2015.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Jul 17, 2015

Hello teachers! I will be started my first year of teaching as a 6th grade math teacher. I am beyond excited.

So I know I have a great team, they have already been very welcoming and encouraging. The curriculum they use is online and it actually breaks the standards down into each quarter (4 quarters in the year). However, it doesn't give an "order" in which the standards are to be taught.

When I did student teaching, my cooperating teacher wanted to start with ratios and proportions; its what she always did. But the curriculum suddenly changed and she was "forced" to start with decimals. A bit strange...

So I've talked to other teachers and did some research and they all start with different things.

As a first year teacher, I know I will not get things right the first time. But I feel I am wasting the summer because I could be planning. I am just not certain what to plan. I would love to plan WITH the other 6th grade teachers, but none of them are answering my emails lol - I suppose they don't have to since it's summer...

So I am reaching out to more 6th grade math teachers, I have standards already laid out for each quarter, and I could go ahead and start planning the first quarter alone. Or wait until a few weeks before school and try to plan with other teachers.

I am also very worried about starting in the wrong place...A lot of the standards connect with each other, so no worries, but still...

I think I will be starting with a review of long division and multi digit multiplication, then go into decimals, then fractions. At least that's what it says I should do on the online curriculum x.x;

Thoughts?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 17, 2015

If you don't know what the team does for pacing, I'd just plan for the individual standards so when they come up, you are ready to go. You can spend your time layering your lessons for differentiation, and finding intervention lessons for those topics.

(I taught sixth grade math many years ago- most of my students did not know their multiplication and division facts, and some did not know addition facts.)

4. CatfaceMeowmers

Jul 17, 2015

Oh that's a good idea...It's a bit daunting to think about planning actual lessons atm o.o; But I'll have to do it eventually! Thanks for the advice!

I am going through the workbook and marking which lessons can go with which standards, though they've already done it in the book. I love Glencoe Math :)

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 17, 2015

I agree with teacherintexas about how you can be spending your time now.

This is the order of our math curriculum in 5th grade. It seems to work well and make sense. Definitely start with the review of division and multiplication - they will need it. My 5th graders seemed to have lost a lot by the end of the year... :rolleyes:

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2015

Does your district require you to use the text? When I taught 6th, mine did. The text would build up, and skills would repeatedly pop-up. It made it nearly impossible to skip around. It started with the algebra (EE) section, and it was a nightmare. But when you got to the fraction section, it used algebra on half of the problems and most of the word problems. So, if I hadn't already taught the algebra chapter, they wouldn't be able to do the fraction chapter.
    I hope that makes sense.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2015

What has worked best for me, is to come up with a good pre-test at the beginning of the year to see where the students are at. For 6th grade, you will want to see where they are at with decimals and fractions. If they are weak with any part of decimals or fractions, they will not have the foundation to do ratios, percents, and other 6th grade math areas. Also, a lot of time can be wasted if you begin teaching in an area that they already are very strong. Hopefully your online curriculum has a pre-test component to it.

What to do with your summer? Decide how you might teach ratios, percents, geometry, etc. Do you have any manipulatives or any webs-sites that will help struggling students with understanding these concepts?

Good luck to you in your first year. I think it is great that you are spending a bit of time preparing for it.

8. CatfaceMeowmers

Jul 18, 2015

At the moment, I know there are "manipulatives" in my room; however, I haven't got to look at anything in my room yet lol. I won't see until maybe the 2nd week of school....I am definitely looking through the workbook to get some ideas :)

9. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 19, 2015

I start with Decimals and Fractions, and then go back to Ratios, Rates, and Proportions. Number sense just seems to be easier to start with. My school uses a Glencoe book also. Assuming it is the same, I realize that it means starting at Chapter 3, but it does make things easier. In fact, I think we did chapters 3-5 first, went back and did chapters 1 and two, and then finished the book. I would wait to see what the other teachers you work with do. I will say that decimals and fractions took a long time I thought. I will admit though that I spent too much time with them last year.

10. cuberoot

cuberoot Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

My opinion is that generally, math textbook authors and creators would know better than I do what order to present information in.

If your goal is to complete the textbook in full, then I would just go in the order they have specified.

I know that textbooks are not aligned to the state standards in most cases, but I would rely on the textbook wherever I could. They are a far more proven commodity than I am! :)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2015

Last year, I was involved in some math PD with some of the grade 6, 7, and 8 teachers in my building. We centered a lot of our work around proportional reasoning, as we have noticed that is one area where the students struggle the most. One thing that we decided was that we want to make an effort to infuse the concepts of proportional reasoning throughout the year and throughout all of the strands of math to help the students see the connections.

12. Coco89

Coco89 New Member

Jul 22, 2015

i begin this way as well. long division and multiplication will be used throughout the WHOLE year so its important to tackle those early on.