6th grade l.a structure

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by newkteacher, Jul 19, 2007.

1. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I know my username says I am a new k teacher but I am teaching language arts for 6th graders next year. I am excited because this is the position that I really wanted. I have 3 classes. Each class is 80-90 mins and I will be teaching langauge arts and reading. I wanted to see how some of the teachers here structure their double periods. I also dont think there is a textbook for langauge arts. Does anyone have any good recs for porgrams?

Thanks

3. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I think it's great that you don't have a textbook. You will be able to be much more creative that way (even though it is a lot more work :) )

I think using real literature is the way to go for the reading part. For my writing, I like to use writer's notebooks for free writing, and I actually use picture books to teach elements of writing... That is just a short description, I know... but it's getting late! Good luck!

4. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

A great resource for writing would be Lessons that Change Writers by Nancie Atwell. This comes with a binder of mini lessons that are top quality. In reading get your hands on as many high interest novels as you can. I teach a mini lesson every day in reading and writing. I think it is important to give your kids time to read everyday and make it be a part of their nightly homework as well. Good luck and enjoy. It's a great grade.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

6. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Thanks for the repsonses. I actually have an anthology to use for reading. I looked for that binder by Atwell and it is out of print everywhere. Do you know where I could find it?

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2007

8. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks, I ordered the binder and the in the middle book.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 24, 2007

I also love that book! It's probably the best investment I've made in a long time! Good luck to you!